4 year old springer

Daz Harrison

I have a 4 yr old ESS who has had the run of the house for over 3 yrs, i bought him and then started training then at work i had my back go and had months off work then back on light duties.

My boy now does not listen and he just pulls and pulls and pulls, i know it my fault, Do you think he can be retrained ? bare in mind i still have a bad back, I love him to bits but he has started ruining walks,Holidays and time with the kids.

Cheers

Yes you can train him, soon as he pulls drag him 180 degrees and walk him the other way. Might look silly but keep at it, he will come to walk right. Make him sit on command randomly, if he won't don't feed him untill he sits, let him see the food but not have it until he sits.

Needs to learn your the alpha,  back to basics helps reinforce who's boss.

Keep at it and you'll have a dog you can enjoy.

Edited by figgy

OK - tin hat on...this is how I do it.I carry a thin whippy stick and when my dog pulls I make it "whip" through the Air then slow it right down and tap him on the nose with it - not hard but he needs to react to it. After a couple of days if he still pulls then I can usually stop him by just whipping the stick thru the air in front of him to bring him back to heel. After he has gotten used to this I simply make a swishing sound orally if he forgets. I always use the command "heel" at every stage and it doesn't take long before that's all you need.Only problem I can see is that, if your back is giving you problems, then exercising him sufficiently maybe adding to your woes. 

Edited by bruno22rf

Try to walk him round the house and garden on the lead doing a training session. Repeat this as often as you can in 10-15 minute sessions to get him calm on the lead. Once he stays calm around the house on the lead,  try again going out. It's not so exciting as going out of the house so he is less likely to pull while training and walking round the rooms gives you plenty of direction changes to reinforce control. Doing this on a regular basis gets him into the idea that having the lead on does not necessarily mean going out and hopefully he will not get so razzed up for pulling you about.

If all else fails and you can't  manage him on a normal slip lead fit him with a clip lead and Halti. It controls the head and tightens over the nose when they pull. He will try to shake it off so you need to persevere  with it and maybe do a bit of training round the house before you take him out on it. After a while of using the Halti you should be able to return to a normal lead once he gets out of the idea he can pull you about.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

whenever the dog walks in front of you at home house or garden / walks  etc    stop until he comes behind  you        you control how fast you walk not your dog  when walking change the pace / direction     fast    slow    stop   look for something in your pocket   sit walk away     and come back to your dog    faff about a bit  before change direction     multiple times      its all about keeping your dogs eyes on you  guessing what you are going to do next      not the other way round       if this doesn't work more aggressive methods are needed  a tap on the nose etc      consistently by you is key     is sit       rather than       will you sit down and stay  you blasted dog   its not a conversation  (one word command only)     more time is spent on bad habits than good      a bit like teaching a kid to speak proper English for weeks and       one swear word  they have it first time  forever          grew up on a farm  as with all animals you only get back from what you put in  (ten minutes every day) gets results      once a week too many sleeps  ( drama)  

Edited by Saltings