The Shooting Show - bad form?

bruno22rf

Not sure if this  is allowed on this forum, if not then apologies to the Mods, but does anyone have any comments about the behaviour of Peter Carr in the above youtube channels "Burton Agnes" shoot - mainly at 3:13 where he surely tries to scare a low bird to climb before shooting the hapless creature - if it was (and it obviously is) a low bird then how much height could it have possibly gained in the second it took to shoulder the gun? Not long since the Airgunning part of the show saw us watching a Collard Dove being shot whilst still being a protected species following the GL fiasco - this latest offering is damaging to shooting as a whole and , when the whole world seems to be watching us and our sport is irresponsible and unsporting to say the least.

I noticed him wave birds up twice iirc.

Also noticed that at the beginning he got a load of Eley Zenith out then shot ducks on the first drive and as an afterword said ducks shot with eley biowad steel. I was glad he made the clarification.

Also on a similar vein have you watched Dave Carries latest video on simulated grouse shooting, partridges in Scotland. He clearly swings his gun through the line to shoot a bird behind the next gun along.  Very good shot but not showing safe shooting. 

Edited by figgy

5 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Not sure if this  is allowed on this forum, if not then apologies to the Mods, but does anyone have any comments about the behaviour of Peter Carr in the above youtube channels "Burton Agnes" shoot - mainly at 3:13 where he surely tries to scare a low bird to climb before shooting the hapless creature - if it was (and it obviously is) a low bird then how much height could it have possibly gained in the second it took to shoulder the gun? Not long since the Airgunning part of the show saw us watching a Collard Dove being shot whilst still being a protected species following the GL fiasco - this latest offering is damaging to shooting as a whole and , when the whole world seems to be watching us and our sport is irresponsible and unsporting to say the least.

bottom line is we kill things !!     we have a code  to follow     ,   but the end result is the same   ,    as I've grown older  I'm happy enough on the clays !  

The arm waving just does not look good, I would hope the shots at plainly low birds were just so that the camera could record some kills.

I was more concerned that they got stuck into a covey of grey partridge (unless they were released birds of course), as they are getting to be a rare bird on the Wolds.

Its just greed I thought. Bragging about 12 or 14 birds shot on a drive that you could have hit with a lengthy stick wouldn't hold any water with guys I shoot with. I would have had a word with him if sharing a day next to that man. Fair enough if the birds were decent, and some were ok but most of what he shot cant have been more than 20 yards away, all be it safe. Call it camera angle, zoom or whatever but those of us that have done a shoot or two know what's low and loads of those shot birds were low. Having watched a pile of these videos recently it isn't an uncommon observation.  

Yes bottom line is we kill things, and I'm sure he did a great job of that, but I would also like to eat it at the end of the day. Having it ready plucked and minced for the soup pot before its hit the ground isn't what I call good food, let alone sportsmanship. 

Didn't bother to watch it or any of his videos. I consider him a bit of a 'paper hat' and this reported behaviour tends to support my feelings. Shot yesterday with a group of friends and it was a 100 -120 bird day and my wife commented at lunch time how great it was to see a team of sportsmen just picking the best birds out of the many put over us and we finished on 108 when on the last drive we could probably have added another 30 birds if we had taken just moderately good birds.   Unfortunately young shooters watch such rubbish and then think that is how it's done. 

19 hours ago, figgy said:

Also on a similar vein have you watched Dave Carries latest video on simulated grouse shooting, partridges in Scotland. He clearly swings his gun through the line to shoot a bird behind the next gun along.  Very good shot but not showing safe shooting. 

I noticed that too....

38 minutes ago, JDog said:

That flat ground shoot is well known for producing low birds. Why anyone raises a gun at them I cannot imagine.

Never have I seen a low bird turned into a decent one by a gun waving his arms.

Only time I've seen it is if you have back guns other side of a line of trees or buildings. As on a shoot I attend. Guns line out in front of farm buildings and a line of trees along a road. If the birds come in low they try to fly below the tree canopy or between the buildings. Waved up by front guns the back guns stood in the field over the road 100 yards back can get some good birds.

On flat land they go up a bit and swoop down again.

Ignoring the fact it didn’t come across well on camera I wonder what the shoot keeper/ management think when watching that as it doesn’t sell their estate to me!

i presume there was a bit of pressure on Pete Carr to get some shots for footage but still not an excuse for that. 

On 26/10/2019 at 00:47, scolopax said:

The arm waving just does not look good, I would hope the shots at plainly low birds were just so that the camera could record some kills.

I was more concerned that they got stuck into a covey of grey partridge (unless they were released birds of course), as they are getting to be a rare bird on the Wolds.

I have yet to see the pheasant that responds to 'hand signals'   🤔

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

If anyone gets that desperate they should stick to clays. 

I will NOT shoot with 'desperate' guns  !

I can't abide the man-always greedy for birds and falling foul of the 'must shoot something for this weeks episode' approach.

The type of gun that I dread having on a line.

I've flicked through the episode and noticed the camera was focused more on him, than seeing how high or far the birds were when shot.

Smug little....

f.

Watched the David carrie one tell you what if I was the gun in his right upper side near end of day when he was shooting straight up line,,I can assure you 1 of us would not have made the dinner table,,glad others have noticed thought it was just me and the camera angle...shocking shooting in my humble opinion....

On 26/10/2019 at 08:04, Walker570 said:

Didn't bother to watch it or any of his videos. I consider him a bit of a 'paper hat' and this reported behaviour tends to support my feelings. Shot yesterday with a group of friends and it was a 100 -120 bird day and my wife commented at lunch time how great it was to see a team of sportsmen just picking the best birds out of the many put over us and we finished on 108 when on the last drive we could probably have added another 30 birds if we had taken just moderately good birds.   Unfortunately young shooters watch such rubbish and then think that is how it's done. 

What would you class as young? I have seen my fair share of the elderly shooting and have to admit they are some of the worst. May be due to their eyesight I'm not sure. 

The worst I have seen are Middle Age people who have come into the sport Mid life... With no upbringing related to Game shooting or the countryside.

Just now, Sprucey said:

What would you class as young? I have seen my fair share of the elderly shooting and have to admit they are some of the worst. May be due to their eyesight I'm not sure. 

The worst I have seen are Middle Age people who have come into the sport Mid life... With no upbringing related to Game shooting or the countryside.

Young shooters are just that. Often young people come into shooting through clays and a quality days game shooting regardless of if it is walked up, walk and stand or a full blown big day on the pegs is or should be totally divorced from clay shooting.  I have done a lot of both by the way in the last 70yrs.

I do agree with you regarding all ages, you will always get the 'blacksheep' and have met a few over the years.    Last week had a really nice day and my wife commented on how nice it was to see men who still had good old fashioned manners, such as touching their caps when going to shake hands with a lady member.  There is much much more to a day out game shooting than just killing things. 

Does anyone else find it quite annoying just how many companies names they have to get in? About 50seconds at the start followed by bits flashing up to tell you what each bit of gear is that he has on or is using? This is the main reason I stopped watching it, along with I can't stand watching the man. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a low bird in the open. A low shot with beaters, guns and dogs about is poor form. But not all grounds have the trees, hills or areas to get the birds up high over guns.

A short bird on the other hand is a different thing and not good.

On 29/10/2019 at 21:15, London Best said:

Never met him in person but know people who have and they tell me Dave Carrie is always the same as in his videos.........an arrogant big head.

I have a few times and sat and chatted to him at a fitasc shoot waiting between layouts in the clubhouse. To be honest he was friendly and chatty, speaks up for shooting. Never found him big headed this was a couple of years ago.

I did see him not happy with a ref at parklodge this summer, getting s bit vocal over his card being marked in wrong order with another in his group. 

• 1 year later...