duck whistle

captainhastings

6 minutes ago, edenman said:

Save your money and get a decent mallard call. All ducks will come in to one in my experience.

6 minutes ago, edenman said:

Save your money and get a decent mallard call. All ducks will come in to one in my experience.

I have a Flambeau Lohman just today all the fields were in flood and ducks just seemed set on where they were going and for the most part ignored our calls. Just wondered if it was worth having some thing else in the armoury. I think today they just had to much choice where to go. Had a few decoys out as well

Edited by captainhastings

I have seen a lot of 'wigeon whistles' made from the end cap of a 12 bore casing, if I remember correctly they were 'de-capped', but I do not remember if anything was put in the hole or if if it was just left as a hole.  Maybe some of the old time wildfowlers off here can help, the guy that I knew, who made them,  has long gone to the big marsh in the sky  !

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

I have a Flambeau Lohman just today all the fields were in flood and ducks just seemed set on where they were going and for the most part ignored our calls. Just wondered if it was worth having some thing else in the armoury. I think today they just had to much choice where to go. Had a few decoys out as well

If you have an itch for the whistle scratch it but you will find in time a mallard call is all you needed. I know this from experience buti know where you are coming from.

For what its worth look at the 6 in 1 duck calls.

2 hours ago, Westley said:

I have seen a lot of 'wigeon whistles' made from the end cap of a 12 bore casing, if I remember correctly they were 'de-capped', but I do not remember if anything was put in the hole or if if it was just left as a hole.  Maybe some of the old time wildfowlers off here can help, the guy that I knew, who made them,  has long gone to the big marsh in the sky  !

seem to remember the instruction son making one was on the dee wildfowlers website

5 hours ago, Westley said:

knock the primer out warm the brasses up to soften plastic inserts remove plastic remove spikes on primer pocket by cutting or flattening   then widen one rim by applying pressure to the inner edge with a pencil to flare then tap the two ends into each other suck or blow they work different height brasses dive a different tone 

Thanks for the info folks a forum member sorted me out.

my next issue is keeping out of site lol. For the first time the hedge we hide in which is sparse any way is now devoid of leaves and our army camo stood out like sore thumb. Going to cut some sheep wire and thread with branches etc to make a portable bit of hedge. Hard to kneel as well because your knee deep in water. 
Learning all the time