Sign in to follow this  
captainhastings

duck whistle

6 minutes ago, edenman said:

Save your money and get a decent mallard call. All ducks will come in to one in my experience.

6 minutes ago, edenman said:

Save your money and get a decent mallard call. All ducks will come in to one in my experience.

I have a Flambeau Lohman just today all the fields were in flood and ducks just seemed set on where they were going and for the most part ignored our calls. Just wondered if it was worth having some thing else in the armoury. I think today they just had to much choice where to go. Had a few decoys out as well

Edited by captainhastings

I have seen a lot of 'wigeon whistles' made from the end cap of a 12 bore casing, if I remember correctly they were 'de-capped', but I do not remember if anything was put in the hole or if if it was just left as a hole.  Maybe some of the old time wildfowlers off here can help, the guy that I knew, who made them,  has long gone to the big marsh in the sky  !

You can make one my taking the brass from a ten bore and an eight bore case. Remove primers and push the ten into the eight. Made a few but not for some time. Don’t mind trying to make one up for you if you can’t find one you like, but not about for a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

I have a Flambeau Lohman just today all the fields were in flood and ducks just seemed set on where they were going and for the most part ignored our calls. Just wondered if it was worth having some thing else in the armoury. I think today they just had to much choice where to go. Had a few decoys out as well

If you have an itch for the whistle scratch it but you will find in time a mallard call is all you needed. I know this from experience buti know where you are coming from.

For what its worth look at the 6 in 1 duck calls.

You can whistle wigeon with your lips or even a dog whistle. 

I use a six in one wildfowling whistle, cheap and easy to use.

Sometimes you can call till your blue in the face and they ignore you. He'll bent on going where they're going.

2 hours ago, Westley said:

I have seen a lot of 'wigeon whistles' made from the end cap of a 12 bore casing, if I remember correctly they were 'de-capped', but I do not remember if anything was put in the hole or if if it was just left as a hole.  Maybe some of the old time wildfowlers off here can help, the guy that I knew, who made them,  has long gone to the big marsh in the sky  !

seem to remember the instruction son making one was on the dee wildfowlers website

5 hours ago, Westley said:

knock the primer out warm the brasses up to soften plastic inserts remove plastic remove spikes on primer pocket by cutting or flattening   then widen one rim by applying pressure to the inner edge with a pencil to flare then tap the two ends into each other suck or blow they work different height brasses dive a different tone 

22 hours ago, nic said:

seem to remember the instruction son making one was on the dee wildfowlers website

It was an old Dee wildfowler that made mine and I presume, many others.

On 27/10/2019 at 18:47, Westley said:

It was an old Dee wildfowler that made mine and I presume, many others.

Might be the same chap that made this, I think it was a charity thing selling them on TWForum.

Screenshot_20191103-124616.jpg

That's the baby.

4 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Better picture 

Screenshot_20191103-131735.jpg

That's the baby. He gave me mine at the annual Dee Wildfowlers Dinner.  

Harycatcat1  is that a Buck Gardiner double nasty and a solway goose call. 

I use the same if it is.

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Harycatcat1  is that a Buck Gardiner double nasty and a solway goose call. 

I use the same if it is.

Yes they are, paid about 20 odd quid for the one off Eddie and they are fetching big money now, he was a gentleman to deal with.👍

Mine was same around 26 or 29 pounds, bargain for one of the best calls.

Would be good if someone started making them to eddies specs.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Mine was same around 26 or 29 pounds, bargain for one of the best calls.

Would be good if someone started making them to eddies specs.

At one time I thought that there was talk of someone taking over but it's not materialised that I know to.

Eddies calls - last couple to come onto ebay have made 3 figure numbers?!?!?

glad i already had them

Thanks for the info folks a forum member sorted me out.

my next issue is keeping out of site lol. For the first time the hedge we hide in which is sparse any way is now devoid of leaves and our army camo stood out like sore thumb. Going to cut some sheep wire and thread with branches etc to make a portable bit of hedge. Hard to kneel as well because your knee deep in water. 
Learning all the time