Never seen one of these before!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

Just what you need during a grouse drive. Luckily I noticed it wedge in the forcing cone and I knocked it back out with one of the butt sticks. Could have easily loaded another shell on top of it.

The rim is totally missing with just a rounded edge. 

WR.

Screenshot_20191027-130105_Gallery.jpg

Thats bad !  very good job you noticed... Hull carts might be interested

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Or a generous thank you to the guy whose attention prevented a serious compensation claim being met in full.

Been loading for a long time now and have seen all sorts as far as dodgy cartridges go but never a rimless one.

I should have started a collection of oddities. No manufacturer is immune from them.

WR.

50 minutes ago, London Best said:

Even if it was a crimped 2 1/2 in case dropped in a 3 in chamber it would only be about 3/4 in in from the breech face.

It was most definitely further down the chamber than 3/4in. Perhaps the head was undersized. Unfortunately I no longer have it to check. 

I'm on well over 100 days a season managing my employers sporting interests and thought it was an interesting oddity that folk may want to see.

I won't bother in future!

1 hour ago, White Rabbit said:

It was most definitely further down the chamber than 3/4in. Perhaps the head was undersized. Unfortunately I no longer have it to check. 

I'm on well over 100 days a season managing my employers sporting interests and thought it was an interesting oddity that folk may want to see.

I won't bother in future!

That's the problem on this site, if it isn't with the the keyboard warriors its there to be thrown back in your face!

i speak to 30 or 40 shooters a week all have been here none are here now due to a few of the Warriors like here!

White rabbit clearly states it was wedged at the forcing cones, that's along way from the chamber, meaning it was potentially a very serious accident waiting to happen.

Well spotted great awareness while loading a real credit to be so aware!

For those doubting the claim, cut the plastic hull from the brass and drop it down your barrels and see where it stops, sounds like a few of the experts might be surprised!

Perazzishot tomorrow that's what I will have a go at. To grind  the rim off a 70mm cart glue it or tape it back in place if it comes off, crimp the empty end and drop it in my SXS 70mm chambered gun and over and under also in a 3" and 31/2" auto barrel. 

Be interesting to see just how far it does go in. Also if it's possible to load another on top of it.

We all know a 20 bore cart will drop down into the forcing cone allowing a 12 bore cart to be loaded and fired.  

Edited by figgy

7 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

That's the problem on this site, if it isn't with the the keyboard warriors its there to be thrown back in your face!

i speak to 30 or 40 shooters a week all have been here none are here now due to a few of the Warriors like here!

White rabbit clearly states it was wedged at the forcing cones, that's along way from the chamber, meaning it was potentially a very serious accident waiting to happen.

Well spotted great awareness while loading a real credit to be so aware!

For those doubting the claim, cut the plastic hull from the brass and drop it down your barrels and see where it stops, sounds like a few of the experts might be surprised!

Fear not Perazzishot!

One of the resident experts is prepared to spend today grinding down and glueing cartridges just to prove a point despite not knowing the internal dimensions of the gun or the diameter of the faulty shell.

Meanwhile I'm hosting a mixed day and you're no doubt stood on a peg somewhere!

I'll not be drawn into pointless debate with them as it's happened before.

I think you may have taken my post out of context. I did not mean it to be negative in any way at all, merely the dimensions for interest’s sake. Apologies, it was a very interesting thing to post, and could make someone aware in the future thus avoiding an accident.

I, too, have done a lot of loading and once was loading for a lady who had borrowed her husbands cartridge bag. Knowing that he used a 16 I checked the bag before filling it with her 12’s. It took four drives before the 16 bore which had wedged somewhere unseen in the bag found it’s way into a 12 chamber and wedged tight. We were double gunning and just used one for the rest of that drive until I could get to my rods in the Land Rover.