Never seen one of these before!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, old'un said:

But was the gun in question bored like that?

It doesn’t matter could have been my gun 3.1/2 chambers long forcing cones and overbored barrels 

thing is a diligent  Loader spotted a problem and avoided a possible disaster on a cartridge that should never have got as far as being a case for loading never mind ending up loaded packaged sold and delivered to the moor 

Old farrier worry not, here's proof your not going to manage to.load two game carts into your gun, 

I took pictures of my SXS 70 mm chamber a Beretta 76mm chamber and finally my Maxus 89mm over bored barrel long forcing cone semi automatic. The carts used are both 70mm 2 3/4" the rimless one was pushed hard into the forcing cone as far as it could go with my finger and had to be knocked back out with a stick.

I will just upload the maxus as the rest are superfluous.nit going in as far.

Pic size is an issue I'll resize them.and add them.

Hope this helps clarify it for some. No danger whatsoever. Even with 21/2" you couldn't load two in a 31/2" chamber.

resize1572277529520.jpg

resize1572277529644.jpg

resize1572277529584.jpg

resize1572277529706.jpg

Edited by figgy

11 minutes ago, old'un said:

What were the results from the SXS 70mm chamber?

It was only 20mm down the 70mm chamber and only approx 25 mm down the 76mm chambered Beretta. I posted the auto barrel as that's the deepest chambered and most overbored gun I have at around 30mm down.

Edited by figgy

7 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Figgy. Do make sure you try in a new 525 with overboring and three inch forcing cones. 

Dunks I don't have a new 525 to try it in, be interesting to see one dropped into one and measured.  I have been and looked at Browning website and the maxus is one of the guns with the Vector pro long forcing cones. The only one I can think could be a problem is the Beretta DT 11 and maybe the new clay guns with almost full-length taper bore cones.

Carts dropping into the chamber on normal game guns are not a worry to me, it's a stuck wad when a cart goes pop. That's when a good loader or friend can save you. 

To the op I'm glad you posted the pic and you did say it was around  3/4" inch down. I'm by no means having a pop at your findings. 

I'd be bloody annoyed if I was missing out on birds due to knocking a bad cart out. I just wouldn't worry about it being a danger.

Took me five minutes to grind down and check all the chambers with pics.  

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Old farrier worry not, here's proof your not going to manage to.load two game carts into your gun, 

I took pictures of my SXS 70 mm chamber a Beretta 76mm chamber and finally my Maxus 89mm over bored barrel long forcing cone semi automatic. The carts used are both 70mm 2 3/4" the rimless one was pushed hard into the forcing cone as far as it could go with my finger and had to be knocked back out with a stick.

I will just upload the maxus as the rest are superfluous.nit going in as far.

Pic size is an issue I'll resize them.and add them.

Hope this helps clarify it for some. No danger whatsoever. Even with 21/2" you couldn't load two in a 31/2" chamber.

resize1572277529520.jpg

resize1572277529644.jpg

resize1572277529584.jpg

resize1572277529706.jpg

Thanks for doing that. 

Interesting manufacturing fault. Thanks to the OP for posting. 

As I said I'm sure it was inconvenient on the day. 

2 hours ago, old'un said:

I doubt the OP will come back and tell us what the chambers were on the guns he was loading but thanks for taking the time to prove a point, as you say, there would be no danger of loading two cartridges and closing the gun.

Why do you doubt I'll reply? The "OP" has been hosting another shootday and have just got home.

The gun in question was an old side by side. Judging by it's weight, rib and side clips, a pigeon gun. I didn't notice the makers name as they are of no interest to me. Italian o/u game guns, Famars etc are more my thing.

Checking a guns proof stamps isn't really standard practise on our shoots either.

The cartridge most definitely went well down the chamber. Why would I lie?

Perhaps it had been pitted and bored out or the cartridge was well undersized. Who knows. I certainly don't care.

I'm amazed a simple post regarding a dodgy shell would provoke such scrutiny and speculation.

Thankyou Figgy for your civil reply. I'm sure you have the best of intentions.

Lesson learnt. Matter closed.

WR.

11 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

Fear not Perazzishot!

One of the resident experts is prepared to spend today grinding down and glueing cartridges just to prove a point despite not knowing the internal dimensions of the gun or the diameter of the faulty shell.

Meanwhile I'm hosting a mixed day and you're no doubt stood on a peg somewhere!

I'll not be drawn into pointless debate with them as it's happened before.

Indeed I was on a very good estate, producing some lovely pheasants and partridges!

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

Would you care to explain?

How was it educational?

Calling people naysayers because? And to quote figgy  “Am I the only one wondering how this could be dangerous as it would hit the forcing cone and not allow another cart to be loaded”?????

40 minutes ago, old'un said:

How was it educational?

Calling people naysayers because? And to quote figgy  “Am I the only one wondering how this could be dangerous as it would hit the forcing cone and not allow another cart to be loaded”?????

So how about it going into the chamber gun closed and fired 

what would have happened??? 
would it have gone off ?? 
could it have gone off ?? 
would there be any adverse consequences if it had gone off ?? 
bear in mind that it’s on a grouse moor and the barrels are skyward and the recoil from the first shot could well have displaced it onto the breech face 

15 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

So how about it going into the chamber gun closed and fired 

what would have happened??? 
would it have gone off ?? 
could it have gone off ?? 
would there be any adverse consequences if it had gone off ?? 
bear in mind that it’s on a grouse moor and the barrels are skyward and the recoil from the first shot could well have displaced it onto the breech face 

Don’t know, ask figgy to fire the one he ground the rim off and report back.

Old farrier are you asking what if the cartridge without rim had fired like normal.

Or if it had gone far enough down for a cart to be loaded tight up the back of it and fired. If this one I thought about it, would it work as an obstruction or as a extra heavy payload and get fired from the barrel. 

I wouldn't know bit I think it's one of those things that only trying it would show.

Old'un Not a chance am I trying anything stupid.

Edited by figgy

1 minute ago, figgy said:

Old farrier are you asking what if the cartridge without rim had fired like normal.

Or if it had gone far enough down for a cart to be loaded tight up the back of it and fired. If this one I thought about it, would it work as an obstruction or as a extra heavy payload and get fired from the barrel. 

I wouldn't know bit I think it's one of those things that only trying it would show.

If it fired as normal? 

not having a pop at you 

but 

think means you don’t know 

as none of us do it’s speculation and I for one wouldn’t want to take a chance of firing it 

anyway good job the op spotted it as any reject ammunition should not be used 

had a cartridge on Sunday went off badly I suspect that the wad was in sideways and the powder was mixed with the shot a tad unnerving