Never seen one of these before!

It seems like a lot of people don't understand how cartridges work. 

When the gun is fired, the case creates a seal between the cartridge and the barrel. The force of the explosion fires the projectile out of the gun. 

Without the rim if the gun were to go off this would still happen but the rim, increases friction with the face. Without it there is a very real danger that the barrels may shoot off the gun in the direction pointed. because of the great force exerted they would almost certainly leave our atmosphere and continue until they collided with the moon or another celestial body. 

Einstein stated that for every action there  is an equal and opposite reaction. The person firing the gun, having more mass than the barrels would be driven into the ground but luckily wouldn't travel as far as the barrels. The most likely scenario would be that they would come to rest less than a mile underground. 

It is thought that this is what happened to Lord Lucan who was riding Shergar when he took a potshot at a lofty starling. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

When the gun is fired, the case creates a seal between the cartridge and the barrel. The force of the explosion fires the projectile out of the gun. 

Without the rim if the gun were to go off this would still happen but the rim, increases friction with the face. Without it there is a very real danger that the barrels may shoot off the gun in the direction pointed. because of the great force exerted they would almost certainly leave our atmosphere and continue until they collided with the moon or another celestial body. 

Einstein stated that for every action there  is an equal and opposite reaction. The person firing the gun, having more mass than the barrels would be driven into the ground but luckily wouldn't travel as far as the barrels. The most likely scenario would be that they would come to rest less than a mile underground. 

It is thought that this is what happened to Lord Lucan who was riding Shergar when he took a potshot at a lofty starling. 

Yep, it would appear so.

8 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

And the starling falling to ground turned out to be a goose with snow on its head 😉😊

I've got no idea of the mechanics of high volume shotgun cartrige reloading but how could a rimless Cartrige get through all the processes.

For starters, how can a case be primed without being retained in some sort of shell holder ?

Or, has a case got jammed up during a later stage and had the rim swaged away?

Thanks for posting this and I definitely will be examining my cartridges more closely.

20 minutes ago, Robertt said:

I've got no idea of the mechanics of high volume shotgun cartrige reloading but how could a rimless Cartrige get through all the processes.

For starters, how can a case be primed without being retained in some sort of shell holder ?

Or, has a case got jammed up during a later stage and had the rim swaged away?

Thanks for posting this and I definitely will be examining my cartridges more closely.

Re your first and second points, see the first post on Page 2.

On 28/10/2019 at 01:11, figgy said:

Perazzishot tomorrow that's what I will have a go at. To grind  the rim off a 70mm cart glue it or tape it back in place if it comes off, crimp the empty end and drop it in my SXS 70mm chambered gun and over and under also in a 3" and 31/2" auto barrel. 

Be interesting to see just how far it does go in. Also if it's possible to load another on top of it.

We all know a 20 bore cart will drop down into the forcing cone allowing a 12 bore cart to be loaded and fired.  

Means nothing? You don't have the original faulty one so cant prove the any dimensions?

In my book two of anything that can go bang in one chamber is more than enough to make hair stand on end.