Spider fighting

Wb123

I took a colleague to the dog racing on Saturday who is from a far flung part of the empire. He was amazed that we make dogs race for entertainment and explained at home they only indulge in cock and spider fighting. 

This is very much begs the question is spider fighting legal in the uk, and if so how the hell do you train a spider?

I would assume that it is with, what we in the West call, tarantulas.  The Asian genus' and species of 'tarantulas' (actually, Theraphosids) are generally aggressive and will strike perceived prey almost immediately.  Don't try to prod one after downing a bottle of red (are you listening , Ditchie?).  As someone who has kept literally hundreds, if not thousands over the years, I've been on the receiving end of a few bites!   The S.E.asians will gamble on anything, so nothing is a surprise out there.  I've seen them cock fighting in a corner of Chatuchak market in Bangkok.  People are cruel but so are chickens!   Have you ever seen buffalo fighting....I've seen it on Thai tv....now that is cruel!

This is very much begs the question is spider fighting legal in the uk, and if so how the hell do you train a spider?

As far as I know, because 'spiders' are arachnids...and NOT reptiles or mammals obviously, there is no 'legal' protection afforded to them.  That's not to say that people should try it...it's either win or loose for the spider.....but in Asia, the folks will just go out and dig up another one!  Ps, you can't train them!

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

Mate says that when he was in the Philippines last year cock fighting was BIG business. I'm aware it's illegal here. 

It's massive in Thailand and you can see that in any rural village. The ubiquitous long-legged and wattless hens that you see everywhere aren't bred for their egg count. 

Shamo or Co Shamo chickens are the favoured fighting types, we used to frequent the poultry sales as kids with grandad fobbing off unsuspecting visitors with trios of white silkies that were definitely trios but inevitably weren't! And well handled ferret kits that liked to bite because we never knew about vasectomised hobs or the injection for the Jills. There was decent money to be made on the silkies for a 12yr old but the big Shamo birds were the prize of the scary looking foreign blokes, much the same as the knackered brown laying hens were the prize of the Indian takeaway men!

This looks similar to the British species Araneus diadematus....the orb web spider...amongst other common names!  The S.E. Asians would bet on how long a **** lasted, if they thought they could make a few baht!  My wife once told me that the Thais 'consult' the spiders in their burrows in order to get the forthcoming lottery results!  Seriously! They write all the numbers (1 to 50?) on pieces of rolled up paper, then place these down the hole (burrow) of the chosen spider (theraphosid, ie, tarantula) then wait as the spider ejects them , one by one!  When there is the corerct amount of numbers, the Thais will buy a lottery ticket (Government or otherwise) and obviously pray to Buddha!