The Gun Shop Test Eley Eco Wad Carts

figgy

Just watched the latest from TGS with Mudpatten testing the Eley Pro Eco Wad steel carts.

Pleasant watch and the number tree shot gave good patterns at 50 yards.  Would have been nice if the was that sat in water was picked up and examined for holes tears etc. Noticed  johnny picked one up at the end and it was going soft but never showed it in close up.

Mudpatten did you pick any up from the ones you had out a few times where the was had softened to check ? 

I've had pin holing in hard plastic steel wads so I expected the softened eco wads to do same.

Im looking forward to watching it, I did watch one on the eley channel the other day, can't remember the blokes name but he was decoying with thw eco wad. 

He put a wad in a bowl of water and left if for the time he was there, about 4 hours or so and it had already started to break down. 

Hopefully it won't be long before the prices come down a bit. 

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

Im looking forward to watching it, I did watch one on the eley channel the other day, can't remember the blokes name but he was decoying with thw eco wad. 

He put a wad in a bowl of water and left if for the time he was there, about 4 hours or so and it had already started to break down. 

Hopefully it won't be long before the prices come down a bit. 

Don't hold yer breath, remember,  you do not need them for clayshooting

5 minutes ago, Westley said:

Don't hold yer breath, remember,  you do not need them for clayshooting

I think eley have done the sensible thing and definitely look to be ahead in the game here but maybe they are just a little bit too far ahead. 

Your right though, clay grounds aren't going to jump on the eco band wagon before they have too. 

I am sorry, but I refuse to jump on the" ban lead shot" campaign wagon, when I  and several millions of other people,  are still getting their water supplied through LEAD pipes  !  IF lead is so bad for me, why aren't the water companies doing away with lead pipes  ?

Edited by Westley

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I am sorry, but I refuse to jump on the" ban lead shot" campaign wagon, when I  and several millions of other people,  are still getting their water supplied through LEAD pipes  !  IF lead is so bad for me, why aren't the water companies doing away with lead pipes  ?

Google is your friend. I was curious, turns out over time a barrier layer of effectively scale forms. So there’s no transfer of lead. 

2 hours ago, hod said:

Google is your friend. I was curious, turns out over time a barrier layer of effectively scale forms. So there’s no transfer of lead. 

It does it only becomes dangerous again when messed with. It's why they stopped the digging up and replacing lead pipes years ago. Only replace them if they burst or get dug into. 

With micro plastic the next big worry lead pipes might be better.

9 hours ago, Westley said:

Agreed,we have to remember lead shot is a problem that does`n`t really exist....the anti shooting lobby are ,as usual,simply repeating their mantra often enough to make it fact. 

3 hours ago, matone said:

Agreed,we have to remember lead shot is a problem that does`n`t really exist....the anti shooting lobby are ,as usual,simply repeating their mantra often enough to make it fact. 

Well the GWCT isn't anti-shooting, and this is what they say:

https://www.gwct.org.uk/advisory/briefings/lead-ammunition/

Edited by stagboy

Just a quick query. 

If these are made of dissolving plastic, are we not simply introducing plastic into more ecosystems? If it dissolves, instead of being unsightly rubbish, the plastic drains into shores, streams, rivers and seas to be ingested by animals? Just because it can't be seen doesn't mean it isn't there.

I was more interested in the previous Gamebore fibre cups for steel shot in his previous clip. Sure, it doesn't perform as well (yet) but it will simply rot away in situ.

It's something that has troubled me since eley launched these wads. 

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Edited by Big Al

That depends if the plastic breaks down chemically / biochemically or merely dissolves / breaksdown physically into micro plastics. Some plasics do biodegrade like PLA and more being develloped all the time. Plastic doesnt always mean bad, there are thousands of plastics and not all of them last forever. The greater the need the more likely better biodegradable plasics will be developed.

4 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

That depends if the plastic breaks down chemically / biochemically or merely dissolves / breaksdown physically into micro plastics. Some plasics do biodegrade like PLA and more being develloped all the time. Plastic doesnt always mean bad, there are thousands of plastics and not all of them last forever. The greater the need the more likely better biodegradable plasics will be developed.

Thanks for that. What do the plastic wads biodegrade into then? The fibre ones are organic / cardboard based so they basically become mulch.

Please excuse my curiosity- I'm partly playing devils advocate and partly wondering if it will be lept on by Packham and condition as a futile or blinkered gesture. 

3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Just a quick query. 

If these are made of dissolving plastic, are we not simply introducing plastic into more ecosystems? If it dissolves, instead of being unsightly rubbish, the plastic drains into shores, streams, rivers and seas to be ingested by animals? Just because it can't be seen doesn't mean it isn't there.

I was more interested in the previous Gamebore fibre cups for steel shot in his previous clip. Sure, it doesn't perform as well (yet) but it will simply rot away in situ.

It's something that has troubled me since eley launched these wads. 

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Eley Pro eco wads are made of some sort of starch, I believe. They are not plastic. Anyway, Eley are adamant that they are truly biodegradable, as opposed to merely breaking down. Could be the future. I have some now (took a month to get them, mind), suitable for ordinary game/rough shooting in an ordinary game gun (or so I am told; not super steel) and so far so good- cannot tell the difference from lead. But it is early days, admittedly. 

I once purchased some carts that had plastic "photodegradable" wads. Those are the worst of all - sure, they break down, but only into tiny pieces of plastic which cause even worse pollution etc than larger pieces. I just saw the "degradable" bit on the packaging - didn't read it properly.

Edited by stagboy

1 hour ago, stagboy said:

Eley Pro eco wads are made of some sort of starch, I believe. They are not plastic. Anyway, Eley are adamant that they are truly biodegradable, as opposed to merely breaking down. Could be the future. I have some now (took a month to get them, mind), suitable for ordinary game/rough shooting in an ordinary game gun (or so I am told; not super steel) and so far so good- cannot tell the difference from lead. But it is early days, admittedly. 

I once purchased some carts that had plastic "photodegradable" wads. Those are the worst of all - sure, they break down, but only into tiny pieces of plastic which cause even worse pollution etc than larger pieces. I just saw the "degradable" bit on the packaging - didn't read it properly.

Starch is fine by me. A plastic "soup" isn't.  Good to know. Thanks. 

53 minutes ago, Westley said:

I seem to recall that the Chairman of the late  'Lead Action Group'  wasn't anti shooting either   ?   ???

He was a lifelong shooter, I am, told. But became very anti-lead, perhaps due to his scientific background. (But yes,  I do understand what you mean!) 

I don't suppose Shooting Gazette contributor Rob Yorke is anti-shooting either. But see this:https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammunition/alternatives-to-lead-shot-108456 Note the comments from all the shooting orgs.

Like it or not, an increasing number of shooters are eschewing lead.

Edited by stagboy

28 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Starch is fine by me. A plastic "soup" isn't.  Good to know. Thanks. 

Starch is just a natural polymer aka plastic. Its all about what that plastic is rather than plastic being a by word for destroying the evironment.

PLA for example will break down to lactic acid which then gets "digested" by micro organisms. The problem is you need to know what the plastic is to know whats happening. Things like putting it in water and watching is go mushy isnt that helpful.

31 minutes ago, stagboy said:

He was a lifelong shooter, I am, told. But became very anti-lead, perhaps due to his scientific background. (But yes,  I do understand what you mean!) 

I don't suppose Shooting Gazette contributor Rob Yorke is anti-shooting either. But see this:https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammunition/alternatives-to-lead-shot-108456 Note the comments from all the shooting orgs.

Like it or not, an increasing number of shooters are eschewing lead.

EXCEPT those with, what are quickly becoming,  worthless English shotguns perhaps.

39 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

All plastics are polymers, but not all polymers are plastics...... starch is a polymer made up of linked glucose molecules, not a plastic which is made up of long chain hydrocarbons.

Let's just admit that plastic is not the correct term to use, as it is a reference to physical characteristics and has nothing to do with the chemical structure, and move on. 😏