The Next General Election.

TIGHTCHOKE

17 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

It was my accountant that was saying I shouldn't claim for the mileage and subsequently warning I definitely couldn't after IR35 came into force, but I know plenty who still did.

Regarding the Google and Amazon size companies - so you are aligned with the EU views on this and the French in particular and don't care what Trump says / does to counter it?

Whilst I agree the above do need to be brought to task, I don't see why sole traders, Ltd co's and other SME should not also be made to pay their share too - why do you think it should be the large ones the government go after?

I've no idea what the French's view is or the EU, or what Trump has said. 

The government should go after the big fish because of the sums involved,  why focus on a sole trader working their butt off on let's say 45k a year in dividends and salary,  when there are bigger fish probably doing that a week, month day?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing I would do is to put a proper minimum wage in place that people can actually live off. Far too many employers who don't need it have their wage bill subsidized by the government in the form of various income top-ups claimed by their underpaid employees.

Instead of the employee claiming money, the employer should be made to claim it instead. And he should need to provide good reason why, if his business needs these employees, he can't afford to pay them enough to live on and why the taxpayer should be supporting his business. 

25 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Mathematics?

I don't think so. Just that those right of the serious left, probably therefore including centrists, tend to produce funnier memes.

To be honest, who cares. Here we go again and it.'s all going to be "tout de meme" as ever. A little light relief in the form of humour never goes amiss. :good:

Actually I'm not sure how small-business friendly the tories have been recently. They tightened up the flat rate scheme on VAT which meant that many people lost out on that. 

And a time will come when the annual tax return will be replaced by some sort of 'real time' reporting, the software for which you will obviously have to fund yourself, where every invoice will need to be reported and claims during that period offset against it. That's going to create an administrative burden along with all the other unpaid work a self-employed person already has to do. 

As people probably have guessed, I'm self employed, a sole trader and I only claim for what my accountant says I can. No meal receipts unless genuine subsistence away on business, no 'entertaining' (which I think is limited to £70 a year per person, and it's just me anyway) and a few allowances such as using home as an office, a bit of dry cleaning of suits, but not much else apart from genuine business-related costs. 

I suppose the medium sized or higher turnover small businesses can get away with more as stuff gets 'lost' in the system. Perhaps. 

Years ago  after I had been made redundant I worked for myself and to progress in the business I needed loans from the bank what do you think the response would have been if I told them that my accounts only showed some of my income as I fiddled the rest .so no not every self employed person fiddles 

No Gordon, you appear to be the one who misunderstands on quite a frequent basis. And I understood perfectly well where Mice was trying to go with it, although he now appears to be the one admitting confusion.

Do you really have nothing better to do than repeatedly troll my PW - get a life man!

As you claim not to read my posts, I am struggling with your argument. As for trolling - you are one of the worst I have come across. Do what you claim you are doing - just ignore my posts.

11 hours ago, Retsdon said:

One thing I would do is to put a proper minimum wage in place that people can actually live off. Far too many employers who don't need it have their wage bill subsidized by the government in the form of various income top-ups claimed by their underpaid employees.

Instead of the employee claiming money, the employer should be made to claim it instead. And he should need to provide good reason why, if his business needs these employees, he can't afford to pay them enough to live on and why the taxpayer should be supporting his business. 

I totally agree, top up benefits only benefit the employer and should be done away with in favour of a decent minimum wage. They also encourage the black economy where already vunerable people only seek cash in hand work so they don't lose benefits.

Scrap the 16 hour rule for a start 

so true !

This ain’t gonna happen! The employers, the people with money, the politicians and the people in control, ain’t gonna relinquish their advantages! Why should they? We and they know that if they did, someone else would step in to fill their shoes....and they would likely become the people, without money, control and influence, they are handing their advantages to!......

1 hour ago, scutt said:

Years ago  after I had been made redundant I worked for myself and to progress in the business I needed loans from the bank what do you think the response would have been if I told them that my accounts only showed some of my income as I fiddled the rest .so no not every self employed person fiddles 

I'm always amused by the criticism self employed people attract in such discussions. I've been self employed for over 20 years now and claim for everything I can possibly do so, and due to the nature of one of my incomes I find there's not a lot I can't claim for. I come into contact with all manner of people, from dear old ladies to Lords and Ladies, and all types in between; guess who it is who is most likely to ask with a sly nudge 'can you put it down as ..........'? or 'how much for cash?' I suppose it's easy to 'lose' if you're a wealthy trader, but I have to declare everything I earn because I'm not. 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

I'm always amused by the criticism self employed people attract in such discussions. I've been self employed for over 20 years now and claim for everything I can possibly do so, and due to the nature of one of my incomes I find there's not a lot I can't claim for. I come into contact with all manner of people, from dear old ladies to Lords and Ladies, and all types in between; guess who it is who is most likely to ask with a sly nudge 'can you put it down as ..........'? or 'how much for cash?' I suppose it's easy to 'lose' if you're a wealthy trader, but I have to declare everything I earn because I'm not. 

Good point. All my invoices are VAT invoices and my clients are companies and they don't do cash. I do think when many people think of self-employed they immediately think cash-in-hand. 

Corbyn and Burgon set out on the campaign trail. 

Free uni fees, £15 ph minimum wage, and a free house for everyone, including all the 3rd World migrants he's going to invite over, Merkel style. 

Carbon zero in 10 years, abolish the monarchy, and tax business to the hilt. 

The Abbotcus has done the maths, and this will only cost twelvety trillion, which we will borrow off our friends in China, using everything north of Luton as collateral. 

A great leap forward comrades 🤩

FB_IMG_1572555476179.jpg

43 minutes ago, Scully said:

I'm always amused by the criticism self employed people attract in such discussions.

I agree;

I have had two 'self employments'  firstly as my only employment, where I did 12 months or so.  Naturally I claimed as much as I could, travel and mileage, tools, stationary, meals when away, hotels when away, telephone (before the days of mobiles), insurances, professional association memberships.  I can't recall claiming any 'entertainment' type money for wining and dining others or nor anything used for 'holidays' - the hotel fees and travel I claimed were strictly business (matter of fact I don't think I had any holidays in that period).  I was paid entirely by business cheque into my bank - and I declared every penny earned.  I returned to being an employee after 12 months or so because the long hours, large amount of travel etc. meant I preferred a simple employee position.

Secondly I had a part time 'extra' job as self employed (whilst also in full time employment) running a VAT registered business in the shooting world - during which time I again claimed as much as reasonably possible as above - but again declared every earning and didn't deal in cash at all.  I did that for several years but eventually wound the business up due to other pressures on my time and the big foot and mouth outbreak which has given us a lot of worry.  I enjoyed it greatly and made a lot of friends, but never made much money.

If you are honest, it is not a 'goldmine', but hard work, risk and responsibility - and for some good rewards.

On 31/10/2019 at 10:52, Rewulf said:

Whilst I'm not saying this is an open and shut case, there's also some confusion about tory and BP fighting over votes, Farage has already said this won't be happening.. Repeatedly.

Well - he's just done a turnaround on that one https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7638411/Nigel-Farage-prepares-unveil-Brexit-Party-election-hit-list-HUNDREDS-seats.html

19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Smoke and mirrors, it won't happen. 

He won't jeopardise Brexit for the sake of vanity, he and other Brexiteers have come too far, put too much effort in to risk it. 

He is applying gentle pressure to Boris, but also strategically undermining the unofficial leave pact, lulling the remainers into wondering whether there is a pact or not. 

He will fight 20 to 30 seats the tories can't possibly win, the rest will stand down, or assist tory canvassers. 

You don't give away your game plan this early. 

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Smoke and mirrors, it won't happen. 

He won't jeopardise Brexit for the sake of vanity, he and other Brexiteers have come too far, put too much effort in to risk it. 

He is applying gentle pressure to Boris, but also strategically undermining the unofficial leave pact, lulling the remainers into wondering whether there is a pact or not. 

He will fight 20 to 30 seats the tories can't possibly win, the rest will stand down, or assist tory canvassers. 

You don't give away your game plan this early. 

I hope you are right.  Unfortunately since the BP did so well in the European elections - his ego seems to have outgrown his common sense.

"He will fight 20 to 30 seats the tories can't possibly win, the rest will stand down, or assist tory canvassers. "  That would be common sense.

"He won't jeopardise Brexit for the sake of vanity"  Sadly, I for one am no longer convinced on that.

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

He won't jeopardise Brexit for the sake of vanity"  Sadly, I for one am no longer convinced on that

I cant really think of him displaying vanity or bloody mindedness before, plus he has his place in history (if hes bothered) as one of the principal men of making Brexit happen, maybe even THE man. 

It would be beyond stupid to wreck Brexit now, because its not the one he dreamt of, there's still time to get a WTO one, once we enter WA territory, if the will is there. 

So no, I don't think he's vain, and I certainly don't think he's stupid. 

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I cant really think of him displaying vanity or bloody mindedness before, plus he has his place in history (if hes bothered) as one of the principal men of making Brexit happen, maybe even THE man. 

It would be beyond stupid to wreck Brexit now, because its not the one he dreamt of, there's still time to get a WTO one, once we enter WA territory, if the will is there. 

So no, I don't think he's vain, and I certainly don't think he's stupid. 

He still has a maiisve part to play, I hope it all works out!

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

That is true - but he did have a great deal of success in the European elections - and I think since then his ego has been over the top

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Again - I fully agree it would be stupid .......... but when has being stupid stopped a politician before?

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I don't think he's vain, and I certainly don't think he's stupid.

I hope you are right.  IF he stands in every seat - and as a result there is no 'leave' majority .......... he will be shown to have been VERY VERY stupid.  Boris's deal may not be great - but he could never have got a 'no deal' passed the remain Parliament led by a remain speaker - so he got the best deal he could.  He HAD to do that to breal the impasse - which wouldn't even let him call an election.  Remember - that deal only lasts until December 2020.  After that we can negotiate trade/default to WTO, whatever the government of the day wants IF it has a suitable majority.

However - IF we have another hung Parliament the whole of Brexit is at serious risk - and IF we have a coalition of remainers - Brexit is dead altogether.

16 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

hope you are right.  IF he stands in every seat - and as a result there is no 'leave' majority .......... he will be shown to have been VERY VERY stupid.  Boris's deal may not be great - but he could never have got a 'no deal' passed the remain Parliament led by a remain speaker - so he got the best deal he could.  He HAD to do that to breal the impasse - which wouldn't even let him call an election.  Remember - that deal only lasts until December 2020.  After that we can negotiate trade/default to WTO, whatever the government of the day wants IF it has a suitable majority.

However - IF we have another hung Parliament the whole of Brexit is at serious risk - and IF we have a coalition of remainers - Brexit is dead altogether

100 % agree. 

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Scrap the 16 hour rule for a start 

Too true - my wife has a friend - single mum - who's daughter is coming up to 17 - still only works 16 hours and being topped up by benefits 😞

and he daughter now gets a form of benefit for going to a private (dropout) military based college (£30) plus her expenses paid because she comes from a low income family.

I have posted this before but this year my wifes friend has paid off her mortgage, bought a new car, been to New York, Turkey and Paris - with her daughter - meanwhile we haven't had a holiday this year with both my wife and I working.

I was serving Queen and country at her daughters age!!