TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, henry d said:

Like you assume the labour front bench are thick, a quick check and it shows a doctorate as the highest and an HNC as the lowest awarded to them, and you have attained what? There are miners all the way up to directors, and are all MPs now and you are what? Genuinely I know nothing about you, I presume you are a high achiever and have degree(s), post grads, masters, or doctorates of some sort and are a captain of industry or similar as you have made a judgement call on these people based on where you are in life and what you have achieved compared to them? Or are you just like a monkey in a cage throwing faeces and hoping it sticks?

Again you are right it is an assumption, but again it is an assumption on what I have seen and heard.

As for myself, I see no reason to justify my life achievements to you or anyone else on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

It's not the first time I have been called a monkey ( I'm sure it wont be the last).

Edited by Newbie to this

6 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

<snipped>

As for myself, I see no reason to justify my life achievements to you or anyone else on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

It's not the first time I have been called a monkey ( I'm sure it wont be the last).

Well at least you answered the question!

6 hours ago, henry d said:

Like you assume the labour front bench are thick, a quick check and it shows a doctorate as the highest and an HNC as the lowest awarded to them, and you have attained what? There are miners all the way up to directors, and are all MPs now and you are what? Genuinely I know nothing about you, I presume you are a high achiever and have degree(s), post grads, masters, or doctorates of some sort and are a captain of industry or similar as you have made a judgement call on these people based on where you are in life and what you have achieved compared to them? Or are you just like a monkey in a cage throwing faeces and hoping it sticks?

Regardless of qualifications, you have to admit that politicians on the whole are an odd bunch🥴  

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Well at least you answered the question!

Let's see.. 

You've insinuated a PW member hasn't achieved much in life, so is unqualified to have an opinion on labour politicians. 

Compared him to a monkey, which could easily be highly offensive, as by your own admission, you have no idea about who or what he is/does, or what race he might be? 

You regularly call out people on their intellectual ability, usually because their opinions don't match yours. 

You sound like the person you profess to hate, a bit bizarre really. 🤔

11 hours ago, KB1 said:

Regardless of qualifications, you have to admit that politicians on the whole are an odd bunch🥴  

Yes, some I have met have been tireless in their efforts to make things better for people, others not so. I regularly speak to John Swinney and he is a good politician but I wouldn't vote for him because of his parties policies.

13 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Let's see.. 

You've insinuated a PW member hasn't achieved much in life, so is unqualified to have an opinion on labour politicians. 

Compared him to a monkey, which could easily be highly offensive, as by your own admission, you have no idea about who or what he is/does, or what race he might be? 

You regularly call out people on their intellectual ability, usually because their opinions don't match yours. 

You sound like the person you profess to hate, a bit bizarre really. 🤔

Isn't that generally the way of so called 'liberals'?

13 hours ago, Wanter said:

no pillow talk

just because you have your name on a piece of paper does not mean that your intelligent

or have a grasp of reality

It has been suggested that the more "pieces of paper" you have on your name the more detached you are from reality, normally I suspect by people with very limited "pieces of paper" to their name. That said, it's dangerous to generalise, apparently...

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

It has been suggested that the more "pieces of paper" you have on your name the more detached you are from reality, 

There could be a lot of truth in that, the more pieces of paper you have the more limited the circles you mix in so it only goes to follow you will become more detached from the "common" reality and more immersed in a reality that is generally considered to be far detached from the one most people live in.

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

normally I suspect by people with very limited "pieces of paper" to their name.

Now that`s just plain nasty.

Edited by sportsbob

1 minute ago, sportsbob said:

There could be a lot of truth in that, the more pieces of paper you have the more limited the circles you mix in so it only goes to follow you will become more detached from the "common" reality and more immersed in a reality that is generally considered to be far detached from the one most people live in.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on the bold highlighted section above as I don't follow?

Also, if this notion of reality is somewhat driven by a personal perspective then how does anyone establish that their version of reality is the "common" one? If you only validate your reality within the circle that you mix in then again what basis for definitive conclusions on reality can you credibly arrive at?

Does this not suggest that in fact reality is somewhat relative?

I know plenty of academics with degress, Phd's and lots of `qualifications`. They are generally very intelligent and `well read` people. 

Just don't ask them to change a bulb/tyre/fuse* (delete as applicable).

The world needs smart people, but it also needs people who are grounded, impartial and can see beyond the books and unltimately think `out of the box`.

I have 2 friends who have studied Theology, Latin, the Arts etc. They are a library on legs. Lovely people, but in `real life` situations they are pretty useless! 

Politics and business leaders are one in the same - it's all linked, it's all about money and climbing the greasy pole.

There are some very good `people orientated` MP's but sadly they rarely make it to the upper echelons due to the backlog of greasy pole climbers and brown nosers.

That is of course just an opinion and I'm generalising and I have no facts/figures/statistics to support that.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Interesting. Can you elaborate on the bold highlighted section above as I don't follow?

Also, if this notion of reality is somewhat driven by a personal perspective then how does anyone establish that their version of reality is the "common" one? If you only validate your reality within the circle that you mix in then again what basis for definitive conclusions on reality can you credibly arrive at?

Does this not suggest that in fact reality is somewhat relative?

I agree with sportsbob to an extent and I think it is just another version of the class divide. Well healed and educated (that really means wealthy and privileged) tend to float in their own circles. They can be very detached from the `reality` of debt, mortgage payments, how to make ends meet etc.

That is a massive generalisation, but it's very much a reflection of how `common` folk view a lot of the more academically gifted and Oxbridge types.

Smarter doesn't mean better after all.

Speaking of Oxbridge - as an aside, I saw this today and thought it was quite relevant. I'm sure they have a lot of discussions about when their MOT is due or how to pay those damn school fees....

Viz.png

Edited by hedge

Hedge, that is a very narrow view.

Everyone in this country has the opportunity to be well educated. Many chose not to be. Education is a very great gift in a civilised society and it doesn't matter where that education is given it is a right and the opportunity should be grasped.

8 minutes ago, JDog said:

Hedge, that is a very narrow view.

To be fair to him, I think he acknowledged that.

Everyone in this country has the opportunity to be well educated. Many chose not to be. Education is a very great gift in a civilised society and it doesn't matter where that education is given it is a right and the opportunity should be grasped.

100% spot on!

For the right education / qualification, I'd even go as far as suggesting it is worth getting into debt over.

41 minutes ago, JDog said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  Many will argue of course that some schools or universities are better than others, but that is to entirely miss the point.  The availability of education throughout this country is such that is affords everyone an opportunity to make improvement and betterment of their own abilities.

It is not about making everybody academically brilliant, it is about providing opportunity to make better what you have whether that be achieving simple literacy or numeracy, the ability to carry out some sort of reasoned assessment and about removing ignorance.  Sadly so very many are deliberately unwilling to take benefit from what they are given.

How do you define successful education? One of my mates worked hard to "make sure I can  do the three R's" (his words) then left school set up an agricultural engineering business and is financially better off than many of us who went to University.

Cheers

Aled