The Next General Election.

TIGHTCHOKE

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Do labour party members have parts of their brain removed upon joining the party, I watched Baroness Sharmishta Chakrabarti this morning and she was talking like someone who had never been asked a political question before, stuttering and stammering through any question about why labour had lost, almost like shell shock, mind you she did manage to put the loss down to the media, the Tories dirty tricks and Brexit.

A lot are caught between a rock and the deep blue sea. If they come out and say Corbyn's cost us big time, the Labour NEC would hound them out, because Momentum still has a strangle hold on it. Then who voices the concerns of the Centre Left? But if they say nothing, no one's doing that anyway! They really are up the creek without a paddle. Last night, as results came in, Twitter was awash with Labour MP's (some about to be former MP's) saying that people weren't voting Labour partly because of Brexit, but also because of Corbyn. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

The problem wasn't that they were Remain, the problem was their inability to pick up remain votes to of

No I think their blocking of Brexit and Corbyn has cost them, areas like Leigh and Workington, Burnley and mining towns in Wales going blue, Blackpool and Darlington, Barrow. Working class places.

The ordinary folk were sick of the situation and thankfully voted on it.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

No I think their blocking of Brexit and Corbyn has cost them, areas like Leigh and Workington, Burnley and mining towns in Wales going blue, Blackpool and Darlington, Barrow. Working class places.

The ordinary folk were sick of the situation and thankfully voted on it.

Those are the places they needed to offset. Possibly a classic example of trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing no one. I think they took those areas you've mentioned for granted. 'We'll take the working class areas, OBVIOUSLY, so all we need to do is flip a few Remain Tory seats and we can call it a win'. It turns out they couldn't do either... 

23 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

No one is going to argue that in the event of another referendum it would be close. Fortunately we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Toxic may have been a harsh word but even you called them hapless. However when they lose a seat they've held for over 100 years maybe my description isn't too harsh after all.

Diane Abbott is hapless, not because of any Remain beliefs. She's hapless because she doesn't know if it's Friday or Christmas. She's a custard short of a pudding, but still gets the shadow home sec position because she's in bed (er...) with Corbyn. You can't judge all Labour MP's (especially the back benches) by the Diane Abbott yardstick

10 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Diane Abbott is hapless, not because of any Remain beliefs. She's hapless because she doesn't know if it's Friday or Christmas. She's a custard short of a pudding, but still gets the shadow home sec position because she's in bed (er...) with Corbyn. You can't judge all Labour MP's (especially the back benches) by the Diane Abbott yardstick

lol, good description.

I don't think I commented about the backbenchers, can't say I know much about many of them.

Who do you fancy as leader then from their vast array of talented individuals?

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

'We'll take the working class areas, OBVIOUSLY, so all we need to do is flip a few Remain Tory seats and we can call it a win'.

And this is what baffles me - that didn't work in 2015 when Cameron promised a referendum on the EU.  Large parts of the country turned blue.

Essentially, the Labour party has forgotten what life is like outside the M25...

5 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

lol, good description.

I don't think I commented about the backbenchers, can't say I know much about many of them.

Who do you fancy as leader then from their vast array of talented individuals?

Labour will lose the next election, for sure. So they need to find someone who's going to be around for at least 15 years (5 for this parliament, 5 for the next and then be able to lead for 5 if they win the election after that). Ironically, they'll need to create and then build on some momentum (small M!) in the next election. Hilary Benn could bring the party back to the centre again and regain historical labour seats. But he's too centrist for the NEC to pick. Yvette Cooper, likewise. Maybe Starmer? The problem they have is the big political heavyweights are all centre left and the Corbynistas want to create a Corbyn legacy, so someone actually electable won't get picked! Like I said, incompetent. 

3 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

And this is what baffles me - that didn't work in 2015 when Cameron promised a referendum on the EU.  Large parts of the country turned blue.

Essentially, the Labour party has forgotten what life is like outside the M25...

I think this dates back before then. They picked the wrong Miliband. Under Red Ed, they went left and stalled when they needed to rebuild. under Comrade Corbyn, they've collapsed when they needed to expand. They missed the warning signs when they failed to make inroads into a weak coalition and then a weak Tory party. 

4 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Labour will lose the next election, for sure. So they need to find someone who's going to be around for at least 15 years (5 for this parliament, 5 for the next and then be able to lead for 5 if they win the election after that). Ironically, they'll need to create and then build on some momentum (small M!) in the next election. Hilary Benn could bring the party back to the centre again and regain historical labour seats. But he's too centrist for the NEC to pick. Yvette Cooper, likewise. Maybe Starmer? The problem they have is the big political heavyweights are all centre left and the Corbynistas want to create a Corbyn legacy, so someone actually electable won't get picked! Like I said, incompetent. 

All good then!

I wonder just who Labour will elect. If it is from the Momentum backed Corbynistas, they face a very long time in the wilderness.

Starmer has a boring personality.

Rayner has a rather unfortunate personality.

Becky Long Bailey is bright enough, but will suffer by association with Jezzer.

Yvette Cooper has no personality.

I said months ago that David Milliband will be biding his time and will just need to wait for a few disastrous local elections for Labour to come to their senses..

Just now, Gordon R said:

I wonder just who Labour will elect. If it is from the Momentum backed Corbynistas, they face a very long time in the wilderness.

I said months ago that David Milliband will be biding his time and will just need to wait for a few disastrous local elections for Labour to come to their senses..

The Wigan MP spoke well today,  Nina someone? But I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

Not bright enough to see what was coming!

5 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I have always thought that Millipede the Elder was only biding his time at Thunderbirds.

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Starmer has a boring personality.  True

Rayner has a rather unfortunate personality.  Thats an understatement!  She is a rude interrupting bully.

Becky Long Bailey is bright enough, but will suffer by association with Jezzer.  and a bit to the left of Hugo Chavez

Yvette Cooper has no personality.  TRue

I said months ago that David Milliband will be biding his time  I don't think the left (that pull the strings) will let him have a run at a seat

Lady Emily Nugee has the finest sneer expression I have ever seen.

Diane Abbott is too good really and should be kept for chancellor

19 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Jess Phillips, is at present an outside bet.....but I wouldn’t be surprised to see her throw her hat in the ring?