Tuna off the coast of Nice (inshore)

Raja Clavata

On the final approach into Nice Airport this morning I looked down to the sea and saw a fizzing mass which is tell-tale of a bait fish shoal, a couple of birds were also diving and then to my amazement something very much resembling a decent size tuna lept clear twice before we had passed and out of sight. This would have been observable to a hawk eyed observer from the shore.

Anyone seen or heard anything similar in that region - it might be time to rent a boat!?

Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

On the final approach into Nice Airport this morning I looked down to the sea and saw a fizzing mass which is tell-tale of a bait fish shoal, a couple of birds were also diving and then to my amazement something very much resembling a decent size tuna lept clear twice before we had passed and out of sight. This would have been observable to a hawk eyed observer from the shore.

Anyone seen or heard anything similar in that region - it might be time to rent a boat!?

Thanks in advance.

There was always a tuna fishery in the med.. the only time i was in Nice,  my eyes were otherwise engaged..😎

6 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about French waters, but it's illegal to target them in British - even for catch and release

18 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Not sure about French waters, but it's illegal to target them in British - even for catch and release

Interesting, I will check. I know plenty of people hang lures off the bs k of their yachts in the Med.

When we fished for them in Kenya we adopted fillet and release policy.

Thanks for the replies chaps. 

12 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

As he explains well in his vid Chris. Other countries have the quotas to take them in our waters. Crazey! Top channel he has!  Very informative in many ways and top bloke! Worth a sub.   NB

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

also off the coast of norfolk...............

Was that recently Ditchy? Spoke to fella other day ( we were talking about that chaps Youtube channel actually) who swears he saw some off Dunwich/MInsmere  earlier this year. Found a harbour porpoise washed up at Benacre a while back that had clearly been butchered.  Another the same on Southwold beach the other winter with police tape round it   NB

You can charter boats from the Nice area to target them but eye wateringly expensive.

The fish i saw jump were quite a bit bigger than 20lbs, I've caught a 14kg yellowfin so do have a point of reference even if these were observed from altitude there were birds there too to aid in assessing size. Most likely migratory blue fin tuna according to a friend of a friend here in the office.

Either way it was a fantastic sight which I feel lucky to have witnessed.

8 hours ago, henry d said:

Pretty sure it is ok there as I remember an article about tuna in Saltwater Boat Angler magazine.

If their average size was 10-20lb they would be fantastic to fish for from the kayak 😁

if they were available., my life would be complete

7 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Was that recently Ditchy? Spoke to fella other day ( we were talking about that chaps Youtube channel actually) who swears he saw some off Dunwich/MInsmere  earlier this year. Found a harbour porpoise washed up at Benacre a while back that had clearly been butchered.  Another the same on Southwold beach the other winter with police tape round it   NB

Did the police ever catch the culprit

49 minutes ago, islandgun said:

They are, there were some good photos (might have been on WSF) of tuna breaking the surface down in Cornwall that were estimated at 15-20lb and harrying a shoal of mackerel/herring. A wee sleigh ride would have been fantastic!

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Did the police ever catch the culprit

It think it was more to keep people and dogs away IG. As it was on town beach. Both looked like been done at sea chucked back and washed up. skull bashed. Guts still in, fleshed from  back of head to tail. I didn't realise till a few years back they dolphins and whales are notifiable.  Another i saw washed up at Covehithe  ended up being reported as poss shark attack off Suffolk coast in local paper by boffins.  Was clearly not. Sent them my own snaps of it clearly showing a fox and big gulls had been at it going by bite marks and the  foot prints round it. Heard nowt back.   NB

1 hour ago, henry d said:

They are, there were some good photos (might have been on WSF) of tuna breaking the surface down in Cornwall that were estimated at 15-20lb and harrying a shoal of mackerel/herring. A wee sleigh ride would have been fantastic!

A 20lb mackerel on a spinning rod...😊

Had an interesting hour or two the other day, i clambered down to a deep rock mark I often fish and there was a large shoal of sprats about 50 metres long swimming back and forth along the rocks, I could actually hear them on the surface, anyway a sprat like lure fished under the shoal produced half a dozen beautiful Pollack biggest about 7lb

71279545_2656886804343154_2999072690955878400_n.jpg.cf5439cf7789ea62a587ed2ce3fe1e9b.jpg

30 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Interesting! Were they very big? Were they released or in the press or angling mags?  NB

in the beginning it was reported in the local press....then it has become more and more often it is not reported anymore.......if you google tuna norfolk coast you should see some pics ...they are not very big but still tuna...

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Did not there used to be a tuna fishing season out of Skegness many many years ago, maybe pre war, when some serious big fish were landed ?

No, just did some research, it was Scarborough between the 1930s and early 50s when fish of over 300lb were landed.

Lot bigger than that! look up the Tunny Club. Rich and famous flock here to fish for them.          NB

53 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Lot bigger than that! look up the Tunny Club. Rich and famous flock here to fish for them.          NB

off grimsby as well......Hardy named a tuna game fish reel.......

Ernest Hemingway was one of the celebs to fish regular there