Tuna off the coast of Nice (inshore)

Raja Clavata

16 hours ago, islandgun said:

A 20lb mackerel on a spinning rod...😊

Had an interesting hour or two the other day, i clambered down to a deep rock mark I often fish and there was a large shoal of sprats about 50 metres long swimming back and forth along the rocks, I could actually hear them on the surface, anyway a sprat like lure fished under the shoal produced half a dozen beautiful Pollack biggest about 7lb

71279545_2656886804343154_2999072690955878400_n.jpg.cf5439cf7789ea62a587ed2ce3fe1e9b.jpg

Nice, that`s tomorrows quarry along with cod, but I`ll take along a spinning rod in case the mackerel are in :D

Interesting that tuna and the prospect of tag and release tuna fishing off our shores is mentioned in this weeks Angling Times. Only info/pics i could find of tuna caught off Norfolk/Suffolk coast was 2 smaller ones (look about 10/15lb and dead) caught by inshore herring boat? Interesting that such different year classes are showing in our waters now tho. Also! Surprisingly In Keith Arthur's colum in AT is a pic of Tony Juniper ( head of NE)  with a cracking 2lb 1oz roach he caught amongst others fishing with Keith and the  Angling trust from the famous river test.   NB

On 04/11/2019 at 10:11, Raja Clavata said:

It's getting into roach fishing time of year now, I have a ticket on a local syndicate which but for a slightly deformed mouth would be the current UK record specimen, I should get around to targeting them one of these days.

Why would a deformed mouth stop it from being the record? AE??

If you need any practical help on the roach front???😉3's from running and stillwater.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Penelope said:

Given the price per lb, they get on Wicked Tuna, I should expect so.

Strange you should say that but I saw that programme for the first time yesterday, 17-20 dollars a pound (iirc) and getting 000's of dollars a trip! I was a bit shocked at how there was lines everywhere along with gaffs, harpoons and tailer ropes!

45 minutes ago, henry d said:

Strange you should say that but I saw that programme for the first time yesterday, 17-20 dollars a pound (iirc) and getting 000's of dollars a trip! I was a bit shocked at how there was lines everywhere along with gaffs, harpoons and tailer ropes!

It's the only US 'reality' thing I'll watch, bearable. Seen 30 odd dollar's before.

I presume that there is a quality and provenance thing with the way they assess the flesh with colour, fat and all the other tests that they do. However am I right that the Japanese have strict rules on how the fish is killed for their market, ike jima iirc or are these fish for American domestic markets?

13 hours ago, henry d said:

I presume that there is a quality and provenance thing with the way they assess the flesh with colour, fat and all the other tests that they do. However am I right that the Japanese have strict rules on how the fish is killed for their market, ike jima iirc or are these fish for American domestic markets?

They all go to Japan from what I have gathered.