Keezer/Kegorator

Jonty

I’ve wanted to make one of these for years but didn’t have the space until now.  Basically it’s a miniature beer cellar.  You modify a fridge or freezer by fitting a heater in it, and a digital temperature controller. Your beer kegs go inside, you can dial in your perfect serving temperature and if it’s too warm, the fridge chills, too cold, the heater kicks in so you can have constant perfect temperature beer all year round.  I’m not quite finished yet, and any time served joiners - please don’t look too closely at the wood work!

6D6EAB04-945A-41A9-A2DF-BC119CDFAD06.jpeg

F890F185-84F8-41D2-B50F-A81E450715E2.jpeg

Markm, I’ve don’t know what the definitive life is but I’ve had beers on the kegs for 3-4 months.  Lots of brewers use the Cornelius or ‘corny’ kegs like mine in the photo.  They were originally for the soft drinks industry but great for home brew as they are way to fill/re-use and easy to clean.  By purging them with Co2 (from a pub gas bottle) before you fill them the beer never gets in contact with air and therefore doesn’t start to go off,.  You then effectively push the beer out with more Co2 so it stays fresh in the keg.  Unlike a cask (like hand pull beer in a pub) where you let air in so the beer only lasts a week or so.

0CE99399-671A-497B-8E21-E57930493F13.jpeg

8 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

How are you doing wiring up the thermostat? I've got all the kit ready to build, but that's the only thing stopping me. 

What temp controller have you got?  I am re-purposing anSTC100 that I’ve had for donkeys for this. If you are using the same, I’ll take you some photos of the original wiring and as I re-wire  it.  It’s really straightforward- definitely not something to be too concerned about , I’d be glad to help you out if it was any benefit.

On 31/10/2019 at 00:18, Jonty said:

What temp controller have you got?  I am re-purposing anSTC100 that I’ve had for donkeys for this. If you are using the same, I’ll take you some photos of the original wiring and as I re-wire  it.  It’s really straightforward- definitely not something to be too concerned about , I’d be glad to help you out if it was any benefit.

Yup - STC100 is the fella. Photos would be  brilliant. I'm definitely a monkey see monkey do kind of bloke!