Britany spaniels

jose rato

It depends on what you want from it aren't they more akin to an HRP

A friend had two but they were pets not working dog's and he could never keep them close to him, they were always miles in front, soft gentle dog's though. 

Edited by B725

On 29/10/2019 at 11:38, jose rato said:

Hi everyone 

Any views/opinions on the britany spaniels?

What do you want one for?

As already said they are a HPR breed, however I believe don't get judged too well in trials as judges compare them to GSPs which are totally different. 

I always thought they would be a good rough shooting dog but hard to find good working lines... I believe there were some around mid Wales at one point. 

Fella on a syndicate I was part of had one, lovely natured dog. Would never do as it was told though. Tried a dog trainer and started to see some improvement but the owner wasn't strict enough with it so the dog went back to doing as it pleased.

If you want a small hpr breed that are good natured and can find decent lines, could be a good dog.

Had 2 brittany bitches  in last 20 years,both terrific bird hunters,but they are very hard to keep in hand,(they are actually small Setters no spaniel traits at all),great characters and good on open ground,can be sticky at point making the flush awkward,they are 1 of the few pointing breeds to work and point well on rabbits,

Rory  Major  in Lincs has a field trial line ,with pups at the moment

Popular with the hawking guys.

Loved having my 2 but hard work ,easier other HPRs,lost a Slovakian rough haired pointer last year a very biddable and easy trained bitch,kept in tight naturally would only cast further if told.

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What do you want one for?

As already said they are a HPR breed, however I believe don't get judged too well in trials as judges compare them to GSPs which are totally different. 

I always thought they would be a good rough shooting dog but hard to find good working lines... I believe there were some around mid Wales at one point. 

I would like to have a smaller size pointer retriever and as mentioned they work reasonably well on rabbits too

So a good all rounder really (providing I can keep it under control)☺

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Are Welsh springers the same temperament and training as English springers.

Another breed that has been ruined by showing... I saw several in the field in Wales, they had very poor drive, didn't really hunt and would not pick game.

I really do hope that there are some very good working examples out there, but I have not heard of any personally.

As with most dogs, if you want one for working its a lot easier to find an English springer from good working lines and will have a much higher chance of getting one trained for what you want if you still to one of the well known breeds.

1 hour ago, B725 said:

My English springer is from Wales does that make him a Welsh springer. 

Only if he speaks Welsh :P 

If two Italians holiday in Wales, and there child is born in Wales whilst on holiday, does that mean their child is Welsh? Or Italian? :hmm: Does it work like that? lol