Browning T Bolt - Pros & Cons please

roche1800

Synthetic stock version is a bit small if your a big lad. Butt pad solves it. 

Good action, nice magazine system. 

16 inch barrel makes it very point able out truck window, even with a mod. 

Don't use mine much now I've gone. 223 TBH though, PM me if you're interested, as I'm considering selling it. 

I have gone for the T Bolt in 22RF, basically the same rifle I think. Changed from my other rifle because I wanted a short rifle I could easily move around in the Landie and blinds.

Comments as rewulf although at plus 6ft and arms like a chimp I didn't feel the stock too short, but if it is then as said easily sorted.  If your looking to eat the bunnies or sell them, ok, otherwise I would have the 17HMR instead, then your good to go out to 200 AND considerably safer re 'bouncers'.

i really rate mine. i went for the shorter varmint barrel so great for truck use. the ten round mag is very helpfull especialy longer range rabbit shooting where you can a knock off a few rabbits in quick succession- the straight pull bolt makes this even easier. 

the trigger is a bit agricultural but im used to it. its supremely accurate though and with a stable platform head rabbits shot at 170yds is easy enough.  

not much more to say really, it does the job well. 

tbolt-9545.jpeg

6 hours ago, Outdoorsman said:

Really accurate absolute work horse the trigger lets it down big time the average person may not even notice it but i shoot 4 other rifles all with nice triggers and i notice it, nothing can be done about it either 😞 

There is a dead simple trigger mod!! 

Made my trigger much lighter - but still safe. Cured the one and only niggle I had with the Rifle.

It involves bending the arm of an internal spring, the downside is you will void the warranty on a new gun. There is a tamper evident foil sticker around the trigger mech, which you will have to peel back to get to the spring. Also this mod is done entirely at your own risk, I am not advising anyone to do it.

I have the .22lr version and like others really rate it. Lovely short barrel is really handy, 10 shot mag is light years ahead of single stack CZ offering. 

You really can rack the straight pull bolt back and forth briskly, if you need a quick second shot too. I narrowed it down to either this or a CZ when I was buying my first rimmy, and the better magazine, shorter barrel and stainless steel action and barrel won out on the T-bolt for me. IMG_1944.jpg.49c08c54833f463e02a2c8d3dcc1e4db.jpg

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

I have the .22lr version and like others really rate it. Lovely short barrel is really handy, 10 shot mag is light years ahead of single stack CZ offering. 

You really can rack the straight pull bolt back and forth briskly, if you need a quick second shot too. I narrowed it down to either this or a CZ when I was buying my first rimmy, and the better magazine, shorter barrel and stainless steel action and barrel won out on the T-bolt for me. IMG_1944.jpg.49c08c54833f463e02a2c8d3dcc1e4db.jpg

Hammo when i made enquires about the trigger no one would touch it there was mention of a mod to be made but it was risky involved voiding the warrenty as you said and if it was knacked during the mod a new trigger unit was 150quid i think at the time. Given how easy the whole sealed trigger unit removes i thought that there would have been an aftermarket trigger by now 😞 never mind they are a great little rifle other than the trigger in my opinion I must have shot thousands of rabbits with mine. Another plus point great safety in an easy to use position and I believe if you buy the synthetic stock you get additional mags for free or at least you use to :) 

3 minutes ago, Outdoorsman said:

Hammo when i made enquires about the trigger no one would touch it there was mention of a mod to be made but it was risky involved voiding the warrenty as you said and if it was knacked during the mod a new trigger unit was 150quid i think at the time. Given how easy the whole sealed trigger unit removes i thought that there would have been an aftermarket trigger by now 😞 never mind they are a great little rifle other than the trigger in my opinion I must have shot thousands of rabbits with mine. Another plus point great safety in an easy to use position and I believe if you buy the synthetic stock you get additional mags for free or at least you use to :) 

I found an aftermarket trigger - £240!! 🤮 

Im sure you have already, but you can wind out the trigger adjust screw in front of trigger guard to lighten it a little. The spring mod is the way forward though, if you search you will find simple enough instructions on the web. Another alternative is find a similar but lighter spring and do a straight swap.

Anyhow, yes a cracking little rifle. Many happy hours thinning out crows, rats and squirrels. 

The trigger is the only bad point but as has already been said the trigger mod lightens thins up a bit. When you get used to the trigger it’s not that bad or stump up £240 for a hard unit. When you get past the trigger it has the quickest action and best mag out there bar none. The only other down side is the cost. 

I like my trigger so haven't done mine yet, but will heat up a Stanley blade to shave away the housing a bit if I do which is a simple fix.

The spring which the adjustable grub screw affects is under a substantial amount of pre-load due to the plastic housing protruding higher than the housing of the grub screw. You will void your warranty but is a pretty easy fix,  basically the screw will rest against the plastic housing stopping it from adjusting,  you can bend the spring or shave the housing down so you got the full adjustment it was designed for.  

Absolutely love my target varmint, light, looks great and shoots a lot better than I do. For me no cons and just pros with it,  started out pulling all the HMR's off the rack and trying them out, I took ages deciding between a T-bolt and a  Anschutz 1517 with the T-bolt beating it just on the Action and magazine to be honest.

Edited by paulnix