Changing email address

B725

Talk Talk are now telling me unless I give them £50 a year they will stop me from having an email address with them. How do I change my email address and do I need to inform every account I have, I am an IT dunce so if someone could explain in layman's terms I would be grateful. At the moment my broadband is with Sky. 

Your current email is with an Internet Provider also known as an IP , it is best not to have IP email addresses as thing like this happen all the time. Many of us use gmail which is a free service provided by google. If you go to the google homepage google.co.uk you will see a gmail option in the top right hand corner, simply click on it and follow the steps. This will give you a google account and a gmail email address. before you do this think what you might like for your email address as it will make things easier.  You can probably get yourname@gmail.com  simply substitute yourname with your actual name for example if you name is john letwin you could  get mrjohnletwin@gmail.com . 

6 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

Your current email is with an Internet Provider also known as an IP , it is best not to have IP email addresses as thing like this happen all the time. Many of us use gmail which is a free service provided by google. If you go to the google homepage google.co.uk you will see a gmail option in the top right hand corner, simply click on it and follow the steps. This will give you a google account and a gmail email address. before you do this think what you might like for your email address as it will make things easier.  You can probably get yourname@gmail.com  simply substitute yourname with your actual name for example if you name is john letwin you could  get mrjohnletwin@gmail.com . 

I already have a Gmail account do I have to alter every account for example PW or the bank etc. 

And thank you 

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

Another option is to register your own domain name with a company like Easily who do a forwarding service to your ISP account.

Costs about £10 a year and allows you to change your ISP at any time without the faf of changing your address ( and gives you 10 addresses}

Sorry for sounding stupid how does the forwarding service work? 

I`m afraid you do have to inform everyone about the change, a real Ba** ache. Banks, insurance, Dr`s and it goes on and on. I had a similar problem a few years back when Tesco wound up their email/internet service. Luckily I had previously set up other accounts on Yahoo and Gmail.

Best thing is to write down all your business stuff,  (surprising how many contacts you make)  and tick off each when done, (easy to forget who you have contacted when you start)  you can change contact details with almost everyone on line these days but you may need your passwords to hand. 

Good luck.

FB

6 hours ago, B725 said:

Can someone please clarify for me as my emails come to both Gmail and Talk Talk all I should have to do is let all my accounts have the Gmail address. 

Not accounts the people, company's and businesses you deal with. You can often merge your contacts so you keep all the email addresses you communicate with, you may also be able to merge your messages but you will personally need to contact all the necessary company's etc and change your details one by one.