Left hand question from a right hander.

nabbers

Nice touch; noticed the lever this old English Side by Side is cross hatched for the thumb on one side only, on the left so perfect for the right hander.....Does that mean left handed shotguns have this detail on the right of the lever?  And do the levers push to the opposite of a right hand gun?  Or are most guns made for the right hander and just the stock is cast for a left hander?    

Edited by nabbers

7 minutes ago, nabbers said:

Nice touch; noticed the lever this old English Side by Side is cross hatched for the thumb on one side only, on the left so perfect for the right hander.....Does that mean left handed shotguns have this detail on the right of the lever?   Or are most guns made for the right hander and just the stock is cast?    

A true left handed bespoke (i.e. high cost made new to order) gun has the top lever opening the other way, the triggers sculpted the other way and set to fire the other way round, and the chokes the other way round - i.e. a full "mirror image".  Stock would be 'made to measure' anyway.

For lesser cost guns, changed second hand guns, and other variants, everything from all of the above to none of the above are possible.

However on modern o/u single trigger guns, it is only the cast that varies (or may even be no cast stock)

Taking aside the few truly made left handed guns , the basic pattern of all side by side guns is the same . Guns that  were made to order to be more usable to for "lefties" with reversed triggers and  reversed choking so that the gun fired left barrel front trigger ,right barrel rear trigger .A gun so ordered would have the stock cast on and the lever would be checkered on the other side .  These would not be un-similar to those build specifically as a driven game guns of which there are few examples many of which have been converted back to the  more conventional set up . 

• 2 weeks later...

All side by sides are left handed (bar a few strange ones). Look at the triggers positioned perfectly for a left handed. Right handlers just push the lever the wrong way and have to deal with left handed triggers!

I changed from right to left shoulder and am convinced the traditional side by side was origionally laid out by a left handed shot. The conventions set then became the expected standard and therefore perceived as right handed. The clues are in the triggers laid out so the left hand comes straight back onto the rear trigger and the much higher forces one can achieve pushing the top lever in ‘the left handed’ way. 

Not the way I see it - the classic double is usually fired right barrel first - thus the front trigger rifes the right barrel - the second barre is fired by the rear trigger which is set back and left of the front trigger to prevent you finger catching it on the first shot - to look at the classic layout you would think it has been designed for a LH but the triggers are placed as they are as a matter of safety - think this is where Wb123 is getting confused?

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Not the way I see it - the classic double is usually fired right barrel first - thus the front trigger rifes the right barrel - the second barre is fired by the rear trigger which is set back and left of the front trigger to prevent you finger catching it on the first shot - to look at the classic layout you would think it has been designed for a LH but the triggers are placed as they are as a matter of safety - think this is where Wb123 is getting confused?

I’d not heard the safety explanation before but certainly found using a straight hand double trigger vastly nicer after moving to the left shoulder where the finger then slides perfectly back onto the rear trigger. I will admit the safety version of events could be an equally plausible argument. 

4 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

I’d not heard the safety explanation before but certainly found using a straight hand double trigger vastly nicer after moving to the left shoulder where the finger then slides perfectly back onto the rear trigger. I will admit the safety version of events could be an equally plausible argument. 

And in all likelyhood, the definitive one.

Purely out of interest, why did you change shoulders and did you then run into a problem with cast?

16 minutes ago, wymberley said:

And in all likelyhood, the definitive one.

Purely out of interest, why did you change shoulders and did you then run into a problem with cast?

Cross dominance, and I did end up changing guns to sort out cast issues. A local chap reckons he can recast most things to left hand but I have never taken him up on the offer. 

I started shooting right handed but then changed to left handed after getting fed up of dealing with cross dominance issues. 

I am right handed but find both over under and side by sides feel very much easier to use in the left hand, as if they were laid out to be shot left handed. Tight top levers open much more pleasantly in the left hand technique as well as the double  triggers being nicer to use. 

Wabbitbosher I understand is also suspicious that the early designers shot left handed. 

On double triggers if you shoot left hand, the trigger blade fingger pads are made orientated to the right. the back trigger for a left hander his finger is on the edge of the blades finger section .

But i do see the thinking behind the position on the plate seeming wrong handed right handed you are like reaching into the guard trigger group to get the pad which id cranked to the right.

I know i shoot left and never had a problem with the way right hand double trigger guns are set up.

18 minutes ago, MARSH GUN said:

On double triggers if you shoot left hand, the trigger blade fingger pads are made orientated to the right. the back trigger for a left hander his finger is on the edge of the blades finger section .

But i do see the thinking behind the position on the plate seeming wrong handed right handed you are like reaching into the guard trigger group to get the pad which id cranked to the right.

I know i shoot left and never had a problem with the way right hand double trigger guns are set up.

If the gun was made for a left hand shooter the trigger blade would have been set an filed appropriately for the finger to slide off the front trigger and so on to the back.