Am I being mental?

JTaylor91

I have a K reg   200TDI  90 inch, we got it in 1998 a one owner with 30000 miles on it. Wife used it daily for work and school run, it needed bushes ujs  bearings and swivel housings clutch 80000 miles  and the gearbox went at 110 000 miles and it blew a head gasket at 150000 miles. I have looked after it kept it clean and chassis painted and  body work touched up its still presentable.

serviced and done all maintenance on it since we bought it, and the only welding i have had to do was minor bulkhead repair and left front outrigger.  Waxoil and diesel in the chassis keep it clean pay attention to where body and chassis meet and where alloy meets steel seal or gasket it watch for it rusting.

Tyres exhausts brakes routine stuff is easy, and  bits easy to get.

As a daily driver they are thirsty and with miles the wear starts to take its toll, but if your vigilant stay on top of jobs and clean it, this will protect your investment amd keep you on the road.

I use ours now wife has an xc90, the land rover now has 190 000 miles on it and its still in the game. They will do it but they need dedication and care. As a driving experience they are antiquated agricultural call it what you want , but it can be an acquired taste, and the theft aspect already mentioned is a worry but we have had no trouble in this respect in over 20 years  so must have been lucky but ours is  alarmed garaged every night could have helped i suppose.

If you are sure you want one go for it they are simple basic things in a ever more complex world, but are antiquated and not typical of modern cars in any way.

I

I have always driven mine hard and have never had a diesel return less than 28mpg. Current 2.4 puma never goes below that and can do up to 32 but 30.5 - 31 is more usual on a run in Summer. Knocking about in Winter shooting averages 29.

All full size 4x4’s are thirsty and obviously will not stand comparison with a modern car. All those wanting a Hilux have got a shock coming at the pumps.

Edited by London Best

2014 Defender 90 over 49000 miles for 4 vehicles and 210 fills giving 26.8 mpg.

Hilux for same age group is 26.2.

Source Fuelly

I have just swapped my Navara which was averaging over 40 mpg for my lux which gives 33 mpg for the same driving. What kills mine is any off road stuff. 

I have two friends with 3.0 d4d Hilux Invincibles. Neither can top 24 mpg. Is yours maybe a different model?  4x2?

Land Cruiser 4.2 diesels average only 19 mpg in my experience.

I have only had one 90, a 300 Tdi which averaged 28.something for the eight years I ran it every day. My current 2.4 Puma is in a 110 Station Wagon.

I have heard good reports of Navara fuel consumption but no experience myself.

PS  I hope everyone realises that in these fuel calculations 5 litre does NOT equal one gallon!

25 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have two friends with 3.0 d4d Hilux Invincibles. Neither can top 24 mpg. Is yours maybe a different model?  4x2?

Land Cruiser 4.2 diesels average only 19 mpg in my experience.

I have only had one 90, a 300 Tdi which averaged 28.something for the eight years I ran it every day. My current 2.4 Puma is in a 110 Station Wagon.

I have heard good reports of Navara fuel consumption but no experience myself.

PS  I hope everyone realises that in these fuel calculations 5 litre does NOT equal one gallon!

My Lux is a 2.4. I have yet to take it any distance to see what its like on a run. Most of my driving is on country roads and for journeys of 25 miles at speeds upto 60 mph. I seem to think my previous Lux (2.5) was marginally worse. Only the Nav stood out as exceptional (rubbish at everything else).