Testing of sub 12 ft/lb Air weapons by Police.

Flyboy1950

This is an age old question that constantly comes up in conversation but has any one got 1st hand experience of having their rifle or pistol tested by the Police?

I have run an airgun club for 30 years and hunted with airguns up and down the country but have never come across anyone who has had a pull for this.

I am very aware of the Law and the fact that changing pellets and also a change in air temperature can have and it`s the shooters responsibility to stay sub 12 ft/lbs whatever the circumstances.

Every now and again I have a purge at my range and test the guns being used as much for my own knowledge as well as keeping newbies within the law.

FB

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I would wager they only commission tests on air guns when investigating a crime, where air guns were involved!..........Reactive rather than proactive policing!

Only know my mate had his taken when we were kids (mid 90s). Only reason it was taken as they were trying to prove it was us who were shooting holes through the scouts hutts windows. Later proven to be catapults and not us, and over 6 months to get the old airsporter back. Never once was it mentioned about being tested as that thing must of been over as it had a bloody great square section spring in it. 

Cardigan police around 1996-7. Small station, nearest main station would of been about a 30 mile trip either way. 

It's reactive testing, to a scientist who has all toys to test it's power. It's not tinkered with in any way. They will see if it's been adapted (drilling transfer ports etc). They use a few types of pellets. All the ones I've sent have been for a reason and all were well over. Rarely it's the force armourer to check and that's normally due to finding the owner where he shouldn't be (armed trespass, passenger seat down a country lane clamping pheasants etc) and not because it's believed to be over, just a check when considering other offences. 

• 3 weeks later...

Late to this party but i Know of one chap who used to beat on a game shoot i was part of in lincolnshire. This chap Was 100% from south yorkshire police area Barnsley area if i remember right..

Story was he was he was up for renewal he had a air rifle not sure of make or type, but on inspection / interview policeman noticed this air gun. FAO got it tested unsure of exact details if he took it there and then or came back latter no idea, but bottom line was this lad lost his FAC and shotgun certificates this airgun was just over 12ftlbs, lad had no idea. but he broke the law so his licence went for over two years.

That force was 100% south yorkshire this happened mid nineties early 2000s from memory.

Friend of mine had his collection taken off him by Humberside police for testing a few years back , 

He'd split with his partner and she took the hump so decided to tell plod he was been threatening so they turned up and piled his airguns up in the boot and took them away for testing .

One gun was slightly over on a few shots but settled back down but as it was a springer they put it down to dieseling. .... they returned all his guns with nothing else said 

He was more gutted by the way his airguns were mishandled and piled up ..... 

There's also another testing case floating about from Doncaster I think ... a chap caught with a kalibrgun cricket in his possession with the hammer spring removed but in the gun slip , that was refitted and tested well over 12fpe 

All the police reports on the findings and testing where placed on the forum to have a read through ...... if I can find it I will post it on here 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Then why not make a law that bans committing a crime with airguns.  

We already have such laws. Any one committing an offence with a sub 12 ft/lb air rifle, sub 6 ft/lb air pistol or any imitation weapon,  is automatically charged with fire arms offences.

It is down to the individual to ensure that he/she remains within the law, what ever the circumstances.

FB 

10 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

We already have such laws. Any one committing an offence with a sub 12 ft/lb air rifle, sub 6 ft/lb air pistol or any imitation weapon,  is automatically charged with fire arms offences.

It is down to the individual to ensure that he/she remains within the law, what ever the circumstances.

FB 

My point is that if someone is going to rob a bank do you think they test their rifle to make sure they are under 12lbs?  

As a point of interest, I've been looking at airgun laws here in NZ recently as a friend was asking for advice on what air rifle to buy. No license is needed as long as the gun isn't a PCP. Off the shelf break barrel springers seem to come in around 18 - 22 ft/lb. I suppose there is a limit on how powerful you can make a springer before it shakes itself apart? 

Thats correct  

And 22 fpe is almost too much even for a big heavy weight  .22 .

Personally if were to buy a springer on the limit id look at an air arms tx200 in .177 .    16 fpe  would see around 920 fps with jsb exact .this would give a nice flat trajectory and not be too harsh on you or the gun  .  

22 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

My point is that if someone is going to rob a bank do you think they test their rifle to make sure they are under 12lbs?  

It doesn't matter in this country what the power is if you rob a bank (or any other offence involving a gun for that matter). Possession of it will tick the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the photos above in the link.

I cant see any offence against the law .

Unless some were tested to be over 12 and 6 fpe  .

And judging by how they guns are laid out id bet they havent yet been over a chrono .

So until they have been ,  the collection remains legal  .

Its worrying how a normal collector can be targeted and potentially  prosecuted .

The police are concerned over the sheer number of weapons. 

Jesus don't let them in a commercial kitchen or forestry shed, they may find lots of knives and axes. 

Since when has collecting legally allowed items been a cause for arrest.

I hope they're all legal and he gets them back.

If not I'm sure it will be sensationalised by the press.

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

He had knuckle dusters and a taser so he is in trouble. The taser will be classed as a firearm and the knuckle dusters are prohibited weapons.

That could get him in trouble but the way his stuff is displayed he must be a collector who's stuff is rarely touched, the knuckle duster might have been in a draw for thirty years.

The comments on Agf are basically the same as above.