SXP the final straw

flippermaj

As some may know I posted at the beginning of the season how I was having problems with my SXP pump but I concluded it must be me that was causing the problem.  Since then all has been well until this morning, my 8th and final shot of the morning and the gun locked up solid after firing the 3rd shell.

I though okay, just strip it all down and the barrel will come of and all will free up.  Not a chance!  Took it all apart and the bolt and fired cartridge are locked tight in the chamber.   I have attached some pics.  I have tried pushing a rod down the barrel to try and push the cart and bolt out but no joy.

Seems I may not be the problem after all!

Does any one have any ideas on how to fix this?  What has happened to cause this?

Cheers

Mark

Stuck bolt 1.jpg

Stuck bolt 2.jpg

Stuck bolt 3.jpg

The 7th post down on this link http://www.winchesterowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27

Discribes a problem they can have and if you read on down the page the advice is cheap or high pressure ammo.

These days cases are made just strong enough and if the brass rims deform   perhaps down to a little too much head space in the bolt the case swells past its return springiness😀 and you got a jam.

Not sure if your on factory loads or reloads, but if you are reloading , backing off the charge a bit might help with your problem.  regardless of the load being a published or tested load or not it is possibly down to the fact the gun just wont work reliably on the load you are using.

Try change of ammo or backing the load down in this gun.

Edited by MARSH GUN

There was a recall for the waterfowl version (3.5in mag)a few years back...not sure how old yours is  but it was a safety issue specifically with 3.5 in. Versions. Importers sent me a letter asking for it to be returned f.o.c. for repair/upgrade.  They had the affected batch serial nos. So worth checking if yours was affected. I put 3.5in. Mammoth steels through mine often and never had any issues before or after the recall. They have a rotary bolt face to lock in battery, you could try rotating the bolt anti clock wise gently to see if it will unlock but strongly advise professional gunsmith services as Marsh Gun suggests. Hope you get it sorted. 

Thanks for the replies.

The gun has been back to Winchester for the original recall and that was due I think to slam fires although it came back as all okay.

The ammo in question was Gamebore 3 inch 36 grm no 1 steel.  I have shot several boxes through it with no issues so I don't think it is an ammo issue unless I have a duff cart in there.

It's a shame about this as I like the gun and shoot well with it.  I had to take the auto out in the afternoon and while I shoot as well with it it pees me off that I could only find half the empties!

Looks like it is off to the gunsmiths today.

Well the guns been to the gunsmiths and I may have to eat humble pie.

I thought pumps were pretty much bullet proof so my cleaning regime has been minimal you could say.  Usually two pulls through with the snake bore and a wipe down of the camo.  Sporadically I would strip it down and remove the trigger unit and clean in there.

The words of the gunsmith were along the lines that I should have had an environmental permit for taking that much sand from the beach.  Apparently the bolt was pretty rammed with the stuff.

So it's all been cleaned and put back together.  Time will tell how we get on!

At a gun show I was at last week in the US, as far as new shotguns go, Mossberg's outnumbered all else by about 10  to 1. That was across the spectrum from the sawn off "Shockwave model" to the long barrelled camo duck guns and the box fed 590M. Appeared to be selling like the proverbial hot cakes too

edit

that said, all firearms need cleaning periodically, even the simplest can fail through the build up of crud. I have personally bought basket cases that only needed a thorough clean to get them working again. Neglect breeds failure, danger and severe loss of value in my opinion.

Edited by impala59