Very light bullet in 223, anyone got experience ?

So, I was having a browse through my Lee reloading manual (as you do), and I noticed the 223Rem table goes all the way down to a 35gr bullet for my powder, which is then pushed out a a very nice 3500fps (base load) up to 3900fps at max. I've had a look on McAvoys, and you can get V-Max bullets in that weight.

My current load is a 53gr V-Max, MV of 3000fps. 

I'm looking at this load purely on the basis of it giving me a far straighter shot on longer foxes, with far less holdover out to 300m or so.

Anyone got any experience of the above (or similar light bullets) ?

I tend to go for heavier bullet the longer the range mainly because it will fight the wind just that little bit better.  Your looking at about a half inch difference at 200yrds if your doing the job. The question is, under that exciting situation can you hold to a half inch at 200yrds, bearing in mind this is not shooting off a bench.   i would have a tendency to stick with what you are using if it is working or even go heavier.  The cartridge really doesn't make much difference the same would go for my 22 BR.

Edited by Walker570

I have no experience of what you describe but the generally perceived wisdom is that light bullet/HV loads are fussy. You might get lucky and find a sweet load that your rifle likes. Even then your mate's rifle might hate it.

My advice is go for it, its always fun to experiment even if it a flop, but accept it is an experiment. 

Have a search for 35g V Max and 22 Hornet and see what a one time member 'Kent' had to say. I agree with his sentiments on this one. We're talking 3000+ ft/sec so it would have been stable. The problem is really its abysmal BC. After about 150 yards where it's heading is anybody's guess. For my money, for an all round 223 bullet the 50g V Max is hard to beat. 

Having said that, Vince's last point above is a good one.

41 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Have a search for 35g V Max and 22 Hornet and see what a one time member 'Kent' had to say. I agree with his sentiments on this one. We're talking 3000+ ft/sec so it would have been stable. The problem is really its abysmal BC. After about 150 yards where it's heading is anybody's guess. For my money, for an all round 223 bullet the 50g V Max is hard to beat. 

Having said that, Vince's last point above is a good one.

I am shooting 50g vmax through mine at about 3200 fps.I would very rarely shoot beyond 200 in the night on foxes but even with a faster bullet I would need to know holdover out to 300 and have some way to calculate the range. Particularly so on a night shot. 

If you are buying from Mcavoy ring them first. The last two lots of bullets I bought from them were listed but not in stock. They have been unable to get me any 50g vmax for two months now. 

I rate the 50g vmax but on heavier targets it can fragment before reaching vitals. 

Light bullets loose far more energy and velocity over distance compared to the heavier, weights and then you have the wind,  i personally went off the lighter bullets due to being too frangible, that was 4500 though out of a 22.250. though.  As folk have said, stick to the 50's and restrict your shots. I you practice at 300 yards and are consistently hitting 2 inch targets at that distance in  then fill your boots. 

I shoot a 50 grain BarnesTSX in my 22 Bench Rest barrel at the moment.....I say at the moment because they are like hens teeth over here but I have sufficient for another 40 or 50 foxes.  This is an all copper bullet which expands into four curls on impact.  The FWHUMP!!! when it ariives can be heard 500yrds away and it does the job admirably. I am pushing that at around 3100fps out of a 16 1/2 inch barrel and it is very accurate. I have not had any copper build up that some reports, particularly in the US suggest but there again once my rifle is zeroed then it rarely gets two shots or more one after the other. It has to be soft and furry and not paper.   IF you can obtain some of these bullets then I suggest you give them a try.

If I had to shoot regularly out to 300 or more and I know that on some large fields and moors that this is necessary, then I would be more likely to go for a 25-06 or as much as I hate them ...a 243 Win.   Forty years ago I had ground where long shots where often required and I was fortunate in that my Parker Hale 30-06 shot the then popular Accellerator cartridges very well and very accurately many didn't and it soon died a death, but mine killed it's share of long range foxes back then.

Horses for courses and I personally don't think a super lightweight bullet is for long range shooting.