Transport heavy "Coffin" from Portsmouth

RockySpears

I have a crate about the size of a coffin, it weighs 40Kg or so to come from Portsmouth soon.

Any one know the best way to get it up to Middlesbrough?  At around 8hrs on the road, it will take 2 days and a small van hire.

Even train down and one-way hire is crazy prices (train fare at £80 one way).

It can take its time, the contents won't wake up, days or even a week,

Thank you,

RS

The Pallet Network.

This lot is down your way.

Palletline.

Stiller Warehousing & Distribution Ltd
Ridgeway
Aycliffe Industrial Estate
Newton Aycliffe
DL5 6SP

Tel: 01325 313140
Fax: 01325 318811
Email: P28traffic@stiller.co.uk

Edited by kernel gadaffi
Add detail

Boring long day but doable in a day better with a mate to share the driving or at least talk to. Otherwise palletwise, we were looking at ebaying some old stock from FIL's and the warehouse manager reckoned that the metal cabinets could be shipped individually on a pallet with palletwise for about £50 and according to the label they weigh in excess of 106kg each. 

23 minutes ago, kernel gadaffi said:

The Pallet Network.

This sounds good, never came up in my searches for heavy transports.

The problem I have about "just doing it" is that the pallet value is low £200 or so, but transport to home looks to be almost equivalent.

Given that a profit is needed to make this work, I am working hard to keep costs down.

6 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Boring long day but doable in a day better with a mate to share the driving or at least talk to

I would enjoy the trip, but lost time and diesel makes me wince.

Need to up my sale prices perhaps.

Thanks all, knew you would have goo ideas,

RS

53 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Have a look at  Parcel Monkey.......my son owns a large Online sales company. He gets his customers to use Pacelmonkey if they are returning a non warranty item

Aren't they something to do with Parcelforce?

Talking of PF I'm sure they or many of the big companies would ship it. I've seen bigger and heavier items go into a courier's van. As long as someone will be around to assist with unloading.

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

Just think 100 years ago it would have come on a trailer towed by a couple of horses. And took a couple of weeks to get to yours. And today it seems to be a problem. 

100 years ago, you probably wouldn't know a way to buy anything that distance from home.

So right, 

I just think about putting things into perspective, we seem to think that getting something from A to B can be problematic. But in our Great Grandparents day it would be either go without or overcome problems by sorting out solutions. 

Sorry Rocky, hope you get your Coffin sorted. 

And yes I know, the solution is asking friendly folk to help out. 

Edited by Dougy

1 hour ago, figgy said:

100 years ago, you probably wouldn't know a way to buy anything that distance from home.

But you see, that's just it, we did.

We got spices from India and sugar from the Caribbean.  We got Gold from South Africa and Cocoa from South America.

500 years ago were doing pretty much the same, and 2,000 years ago the Romans really had it sorted.

I think the World "seems" small these days and I should get my coffin from  A to B without too much hassle, but maybe things are too easy, we do not seem to make much real profit these days and so things sometimes feel like they are expensive.

Look at our Cathedrals, does anyone think we could afford to build such things these days?  Look at our high streets, steel and glass hideousness, a few remaining Bank frontages to show us just what we could afford, once.

Any one think we could build a rail network from scratch?  We can't even seem to get a decent line from A to B without it cost £70,000,000,000 and take a decade.

We really do not value what we have these days and we had better learn too, because I can't help but feel it may all be about to take a turn for the worse.

Right, back to ebay,

RS