Honda CR 500 AF

Gordon R

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not started at the frame and engine, but my youngest is supplying his wish list of "essentials". He said we needed black footrests - my solution of paint met with little enthusiasm.  

More bits arriving - wallet emptying.

rsz_001 (1).jpg

rsz_002.jpg

rsz_003.jpg

rsz_footpegs.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

Upper fork stickers,  clutch cable and kickstart arriving tomorrow.  Sort out the garage at weekend and then start in earnest - according to my youngest. He is providing the colour co-ordination. I will admit he has me beaten hands down in that department. He says he has a vision of what it will turn out like in his head. I pointed out that the empty space between his ears was ideal for storing visions. 

Got two possible frame builders in mind to cut and replace front down tube to accommodate two stroke exhaust. I can't weld aluminium and my welding isn't up to the standard needed anyway.

Just got to sort engine first - check for missing parts and replace big end, conrod, piston and mains, plus gaskets and seals.

Edited by Gordon R

• 1 month later...

The front down tube has to be cut and the inverted "Y" shape has to moved upwards, so that the two stroke exhaust doesn't hit the frame. It will exit between two rails, whereas the four stroke exited on the right of the single spar downpiece. Two new rails need welding into the gap, new engine mounts and a new head steady fastening to the frame. Two strokes need attaching to the frame from the cylinder head to minimise vibration.

My youngest said he would call round and clean up the sub-frame. Shock, horror - no show, so I had a dabble. Scotch pad and T-cut cleaned it up nicely. Not done all of it and waiting for a delivery of a few tubes of Solvol Auotosol - to be applied with a cloth wheel.

26.jpg

27.jpg

17 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Never thought about it. Does lacquer stand up to the knocks that motocross bikes get or will it chip and have to be re-done? 

I will gladly take advice about how to preserve a decent ally finish.

Car alloy wheels seem to stand-up to some harsh conditions, wonder what they coat them with?

Sounds like an idea.

Still waiting for mate to repair a bolt hole in a crankcase half. It's where the chain guard fits - it will still take a bolt, but I want it perfect. As soon as he gets his finger out, the engine can be rebuilt and then the frame.

New plastics - mudguards, side panels, rad scoops, chain rollers, chain guide and shock guard arrived over the New Year. Waiting for custom graphics, fork protectors and front number plate. The graphics are a nod to the 1995 CR500 raced by my eldest lad.

Edited by Gordon R

5 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Ebay seller. They did graphics we liked, but they had CRF450 on the year we wanted - which we obviously didn't want. He put the CR500 AF on for us. No other seller appeared to be so flexible.

Oh that's good....those little details make all the difference 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Been tidying up the garage and disposing of the hoard of quadruplicated tools - I can see some daylight now. Down to about a dozen 13mm and 10mm spanners and ratchets are below 50.

The engine casing is due back on Monday - been waiting about 6/7 weeks. Moral - never get a perfectionist mate to do anything. He is good, but has no sense of urgency and gets easily distracted. Once it is back, I can get a mocked up engine into the frame, for that to be welded. I will work on the other engine whilst the frame is away.