Honda CR 500 AF

Gordon R

Engine is 1989, frame, forks, rear shock and plastics are 2005 - the 2005-08 are reckoned to be one of the better handling bikes. It should outrun anything but another CR500AF. More power than you would probably ever need. Instant power, rather than the relatively sluggish four strokes of today.

Sorted the heavy clutch. Removed all spacers and power greased the cable, clutch arm and actuating rod. Quite a bit lighter. It did have lubrication before but only thin oil - the grease is much better.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks.

After saying it was done, we had a junior set back. Engine started okay and we got a proper tickover, but clutch was slipping a bit.Tried spacers with heavier springs, no spacers and different release bearings, actuating rods and adjusted cable. Eventually went for a longer rod (not the one that came with the engine) and dumped the £50 new bearing - going back to the ball bearing. Managed not to spill ATF everywhere and now have a very good clutch.

Just taken all bolts for the plastics out today and Loctited them - not maximum strength, but enough to stop them vibrating loose. I had forgotten how much Cr500 vibrate.

147.jpg

150.jpg

143.jpg

149.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Thanks.

After saying it was done, we had a junior set back. Engine started okay and we got a proper tickover, but clutch was slipping a bit.Tried spacers with heavier springs, no spacers and different release bearings, actuating rods and adjusted cable. Eventually went for a longer rod (not the one that came with the engine) and dumped the £50 new bearing - going back to the ball bearing. Managed not to spill ATF everywhere and now have a very good clutch.

Just taken all bolts for the plastics out today and Loctited them - not maximum strength, but enough to stop them vibrating loose. I had forgotten how much Cr500 vibrate.

147.jpg

150.jpg

143.jpg

149.jpg

Very nice. Hopefully years of enjoyment

On 29/05/2020 at 07:18, JDog said:

I’ve never even been on a motorbike of any kind and I certainly would not know how they work but I have greatly enjoyed following this thread.

This would bike would be a ideal learner bike for you 😀😀😀

But seriously Gordon that is a first class job.

Edited by blackbird

Thanks. I am genuinely chuffed that it turned out like it did.

Every time I see one of Ditchman's restorations, Team Tractor's wood work, plus umpteen knife makers, I tend to focus on my own limitations in those areas. What I have done is within my comfort zone, albeit I found it very hard work,  but I do fancy trying something which isn't as comfortable.

Edited by Gordon R

On 31/05/2020 at 14:23, Gordon R said:

Thanks. I am genuinely chuffed that it turned out like it did.

Every time I see one of Ditchman's restorations, Team Tractor's wood work, plus umpteen knife makers, I tend to focus on my own limitations in those areas. What I have done is within my comfort zone, albeit I found it very hard work,  but I do fancy trying something which isn't as comfortable.

I’ll swap you a door for that bike any day of the week 

Gordon please get a video up of it running and that nice smelling blue plume of Castrol r out the exhaust. Need see it at full chat being ragged around by your son.

Great work and I bet you get inundated with offers to buy when you take it anywhere 👍

First outing on a track for our bike. An eventful and not totally happy day. Couldn't get the bike to start and missed first practice. It had started fairly easily at home, but I changed the mixture from 50:1 to 40:1 and also had oiled the air filter. No joy - took plug out to clean it, which means taking the seat and tank off. Cleaned plug, reset ignition timing to TDC - still nothing. Went back to 5 degrees BTDC. We considered buying some more fuel and changing mixture back to 50:1. Just before I set off to the garage, Nick gave it one last kick, more in desperation than hope. It fired up. Warmed it up, got a proper tickover and after that it fired up first kick. No explanation - just the way it happened. Only got one practice as the track was really bumpy and we hadn't had chance to fine tune the suspension. The day was cut short when the clutch started playing up - free play in cable and then going stiff. I will sort it this week  -  I suspect a broken clutch basket. I will be niggled if it is, as one had already broken. Still got a spare CRF450 clutch to drop in, if it is that. Pleased that in now runs fine, has a tickover, doesn't leak and gets all gears. Nick was a bit miffed, but I regarded the day as a shakedown to see if there were any faults. Junior league problems. Forgive the short and poorly shot video - not my forte and I was getting fed up with bikes. When they are running properly, I love them. when they play up, I hate them. Thinking of putting lead shot inside the bars to cut vibration. If anyone has done this, I would appreciate their views.

Edited by Gordon R