Honda CR 500 AF

Gordon R

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My biggest problem is that I bought the world's supply of nuts and bolts. Got drawers full and loads stacked under boxes, bench etc. That said, the current situation means I have more time to think of a longer term solution. I did one side of the overhead storage today. I now know what I have and where. Tomorrow the other side. Then I just have four roll cabs, one middle box and four top boxes to sort, plus the storage shelves at the back. 

Number one engine will be done by the end of next week. New conrod, main bearings, overhaul the gearbox, chose the best clutch from the three I have, new seals and gaskets. Not sure about the barrel. We have a decent one, with a good piston, but we also have a barrel which needs a re-line to go with the brand new piston. Might just get it up and running on the existing barrel and fit the other later. After that, the job is all but over according to my youngest. I don't think he has a clue about electrics, air intake, cooling or exhaust systems. He seems to think we just bolt on new plastics, bars, grips, graphics and away we go.

Considered powder coating, but after visiting a number of motocross forums, I got put off the idea. They kept raising problems about aluminium frames cracking under the powder coating and you not knowing about the cracks until they broke. Vibration is a genuine problem on CR500 bikes.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Considered powder coating, but after visiting a number of motocross forums, I got put off the idea. They kept raising problems about aluminium frames cracking under the powder coating and you not knowing about the cracks until they broke. Vibration is a genuine problem on CR500 bikes.

what temperature do they powder coat at ..........

12 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

No idea. It isn't anything to do with the powder coating process, but the actual coat hides cracks more so than paint - or so they say.

aluminium id strange stuff ...it aneals at the temp soap goes brown on it...............and once tempered it can take months to fully harden on its own..