Honda CR 500 AF

Gordon R

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Junior wants to use it and suggested we build another with the spare engine, which we can then sell. 

Another aluminium frame Honda would be more straightforward as I know exactly what needs to be done and which parts are needed. That said, I fancy doing a CR500 in a KTM frame. I have a soft spot for KTMs - we have had four - all quick - SX250 (2 stroke), SX360 (2 stroke), SX380 (2 stroke) and SXF450 (4 stroke) and good handling.

The bolt for the air filter arrived this morning. If I ordered a Honda version - £11. I ordered the Kawasaki version - £5. Same bolt.

Edited by Gordon R

Seen a few videos lately on the Honda CR500. One was an interview with a factory rider who was a champ in the 80's &.90's.

Another was a fella building one or two along with the YZ250 in champion livery.

Some good retro and upto date footage.

Bet your son can't wait to get on it.

17 hours ago, figgy said:

Seen a few videos lately on the Honda CR500. One was an interview with a factory rider who was a champ in the 80's &.90's.

Another was a fella building one or two along with the YZ250 in champion livery.

Some good retro and upto date footage.

Bet your son can't wait to get on it.

My mate was world champ in 85 I think it was on a Honda . Amazing rider 

Came to fit the swinging arm and found the bushes I made to install the engine in the frame no longer fitted, because of the swinging arm bushes set up - one thick bearing washer on each side. I got lucky, as I had a supply of the right size washers and only took a couple of minutes to determine what was needed - two thick washers either side of the engine. Then fitted the suspension wishbone and shock. The shock is to be rebuilt, so not in permanently as yet. Fitted new lower chain roller and swinging arm chain cover. Not bolted it down as I want new dished guide washers. Arm and wishbone look a bit mucky - load of grease from the bearings. All to be cleaned up.

010.jpg

002.jpg

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Derrick Edmondson - 8 times British Enduro Champion. A top rider, but there has only been one Dave Thorpe.

He used to make me laugh. He’d say I take it easy for the first lap and stay back . He was flying . I entered on a big wheeled 80 and won 😂😂😂. Bloody lovely bloke too . I’d hang his doors and he’d fix my bike 

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Came to fit the swinging arm and found the bushes I made to install the engine in the frame no longer fitted, because of the swinging arm bushes set up - one thick bearing washer on each side. I got lucky, as I had a supply of the right size washers and only took a couple of minutes to determine what was needed - two thick washers either side of the engine. Then fitted the suspension wishbone and shock. The shock is to be rebuilt, so not in permanently as yet. Fitted new lower chain roller and swinging arm chain cover. Not bolted it down as I want new dished guide washers. Arm and wishbone look a bit mucky - load of grease from the bearings. All to be cleaned up.

010.jpg

002.jpg

It’s making my very jealous. I’ve never riden a 500 and I guess never will. 

I got my CR500 Honda when I was about 45. In my youth, I owned smaller crossers (largest was a 350cc tuned Royal Enfield Bullet, which had actually raced against the World Champion - Jeff Smith, when he visited our local club - Green Howarth) and had a 1000cc road bike, but none were quite the same adrenaline rush as the CR500.

One on my son's mates has access to some private land to ride his bike on. When it is finished I fancy a quick spin for old times sake.

Got another set of wheels today, which both need bearings and seals, so I spent most of the day doing tyres and wheel bearings. Had to weld a blob onto a bearing to knock it out from the other side. Sore hands and felt like cheering myself up, so I put on some of the plastics to give an indication of  how it will turn out. Got loads more to put on. One of the fork guard protector bolt holes is stripped, so will be heli-coiling it tomorrow.

rsz_112.jpg

rsz_113.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

1995 from memory. My eldest raced AMCA Experts and his CR500 Honda had the same type of graphic. When we looked at colour schemes, youngest suggested a nod to his brother's bike - a nostalgic look on a more modern bike. 

Spent the day lubricating every stainless steel bolt with copper based non-seize spray, then started to fit the new tyres. Front (twice - one new, the other a spare) - piece of cake. Rear - ruined two inner tubes - nipped both with a lever. Will have to get tube number three. I hate motocross tyres - cars are a doddle by comparison.

The Heli-coiling went okay, aside from the supplied drill being too small for the inserts. Micrometer out - new drill size - sorted. I have M6, M8, M10 and M12 Heli-coil insert kits - never used one before. I knew they would come in handy.

Watched a few more videos of folk letting rip on CR500's  made me tingle watching them.

Bit of throttle and fronts up and it's away like a stabbed rat. Bloody terrifying to ride.

Knack to starting them too unless you like a bleeding chin or cracked teeth.  Nice to see them in action but I'd not ride one again.

Got tyres on wheels - with no punctures this time. Put new wheel bearings x 5 and new seals on this morning. Now I have a rolling chassis. 

Awaiting new rear shock, before I fit the carb and airbox. Then get radiators sorted and exhaust can then go on. That would leave electronic ignition and bits and pieces - brake controls, throttle, brake pads, chain etc.

001.jpg

Edited by Gordon R