Honda CR 500 AF

Gordon R

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered the electronic ignition, so the end is in sight.

Half of the blue silicone hoses arrived today, so plumbing is getting there. Brake and clutch levers arrived - one perfect fit, the other - didn't.

Number board graphics arrived yesterday - side panels fine. Front number board - supplier decided to use a larger font, which didn't fit on and a chunk of the numbers are missing. They explained that ACU regs dictate the size of font on the front board. I pointed out that I neither wanted nor ordered the larger size. They will put it right - not a problem.

On a happier note, I put the tyre back onto the spare rear wheel. I managed to puncture it - three punctures and only two successful tyres on. Happily, they are on the bike.  I have done hundreds successfully and at a loss as to why this has suddenly happened.

At the umpteenth attempt - manage to seal two punctures on an inner tube and successfully got a tyre onto spare rear wheel.

Came to install clutch lever cable to discover the clutch lifter assembly was incorrect. Ordered new parts, but dropped automatic transmission fluid on garage floor. I tipped bike on its side, whilst I whipped off the clutch cover and felt quite smug. Kitchen roll to collect a slight dribble of fluid. After about 10 minutes, I noticed a sizeable pool of the red stuff under the bike stand.

In some respects, I will be glad when it is up and running, but bit of an anti-climax - what next and how soon to start it.

Spare tyre went down overnight - I hate motocross wheels.

Junior applied background to side number panel and sent me a photo. Meanwhile, I had been under the trailer installing a device which holds the bike whilst in transit. You wheel the bike into the trailer, sit on the bike and push a lever, on either side - bike locked. I pointed out that his was the nice, easy, sit down and stick a bit of plastic on job. Mine involved jacking trailer up, removing all four wheels, scraping my elbow and rolling around on the floor.

94564140_3314559918572805_3054619657613869056_n.jpg

002.jpg

Junior has been on the phone tonight - seen a KTM SX450 rolling chassis for £1.5k. Told him - it's way over the odds. He said "We can just drop the spare engine in". I had to point out a couple of missing parts - clutch lifter assembly, one gear, one water pump / clutch casing, ignition cover, clutch cover, ignition system, marked barrel, plus new gaskets / bearings. That is before we start on the frame etc.

If price drops to half that, we might have a dabble.

Had a re-think on the plumbing - a couple more 90 degree elbows on the left hand side, will make it a little less conspicuous.

Good news though - ignition system being delivered tomorrow.

More transmission fluid leaked, as I had to work on the clutch. It felt a bit stiff and on further inspection, one of the fingers on the inner clutch was at an angle - ready to break off. Swiftly put the spare on - job sorted. 

136.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

It has kept me going in the lock down - a purpose for every day. I wait for the postman to deliver today's delights. Despite being near the end, I currently await:-

20 x Jubilee clips

2 x 19mm elbows and a T piece

2 x radiator guards

1 x clutch lever holder

40 x stainless steel cap head screws

1 x 19mm silicone hose length

1 x reducer (51mm down to 36mm) to cover silencer to exhaust joint

1 x front brake lever rubber cover - £15 for a piece of rubber - absolute rip off

1 x forgotten ignition system - arriving by courier today.

Edited by Gordon R

That depends on the lock down. I can't go and buy a rolling chassis or something bulky, so I might have to look for something else, which I can get by parcel or already have.

I keep looking at the knife making threads and fancy having a go. My problem is that I don't think I can do one to the very high standards on here. It is okay to say "Just have a go", but I would like to do one to the standard of Ditchman (who was kind enough to make one for me) and others. It is a thing of beauty and feels nice in your hand. A rare combination.

Off on a tangent, but I hope Ditchman will return.

Old Tom is a top bloke - way out of my league. 100 and still got his marbles.

Out of the list the postman was supposed to deliver, only the ignition arrived. Sorted out the CDi and coil. I made a half decent coil bracket which sits neatly in the space between the cylinder head and petrol tank. I surpassed myself- cut from a thickish sheet of aluminium - twice as thick as the supplied bracket.

Stator and rotor easy enough to fit, but I don't yet have a DTI gauge - one arriving soon. Once It get that, I hope to be starting the bike next week. 

• 2 weeks later...