Honda CR 500 AF

Gordon R

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great to see ditchman back. I wish I had a better update. Electronic ignition arrived - fitted within an hour. One weal spark was followed by no spark at all. Checked all wiring and sent it back to the company. They got it back on 11.5.2020. I will ring them today to get an update, if they answer the phone. Once that arrives, bike should be finished within a day.

Is shooting re-opening?

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement ignition arrived and fitted. There is a definite spark, but not the sort you get on a car. I had almost forgotten how small the spark on a motocross bike is.

Just waiting for a new spark plug cap to arrive as the kit fits only those spark plugs where the end unscrews. I have put spacing washers on the clutch spring bolts as Junior - the strongest man I know - said the clutch was too heavy. I told him to man up, but he started whinging about lactic acid build up. To save an argument developing - just sorted it.

Hopefully running next week.

I don't know how to post videos, but will prevail on Junior for that, if possible. Done little over last couple of days - lousy weather - very windy and I like the garage door open when working, as it is easier to get around. Re-sited petrol tap today - made a bracket to move it sideways by two inches. No sooner had I done this than I saw a photo of another CR500 AF where the tap had been moved about six inches. I might try that tomorrow. Sorted out a nice light clutch too.

As soon as new spark plug cap arrives - fill up gearbox, coolant, fuel and ready to start.

Edited by Gordon R

Impatience got the better of me - used old plug cap. Fired up fourth kick, which I was pleased about. Tickover needs sorting and clutch is slipping after my efforts to lighten it. Need to reduce the spacers from one thick and one thin to a single thin. If still too heavy - extend clutch arm, as someone suggested. Not sure how to load video on here - any ideas?

Newbie to this - thanks for the advice  - see below. Still missing side panels and rad scoops. Bit of tidying with wiring and fuel tap, plus clutch and tick over  sorting. Less than a day's work - hopefully - only taken six months.

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Newbie to this - thanks for the advice  - see below. Still missing side panels and rad scoops. Bit of tidying with wiring and fuel tap, plus clutch and tick over  sorting. Less than a day's work - hopefully - only taken six months.

Ooooooo tingles 😂😂.

i was only joking about this last night to a mate. I never had a girlfriend until I was 23 as I got more excited racing my bikes . 
wish I’d never moved on 😂

Thanks to Nick's wife for the video quality - or lack of it. 🙂 Re-sited fuel tap, but now having fun getting pipes connected. New plug cap arrived - eventually. Not doing clutch today - I am sick of automatic transmission fluid everywhere. Whatever you try to collect it in, it always seems to manage to end up on the garage floor.

THANK YOU SIR !!!

That sounds just as I remember my old 2stroke crossers a strange but enchanting wurring but the best sound of all is when they get warmed up and you start hitting the power bands through the gears on a long straight so you can get them full chat .....

WELL DONE SIR YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF !!!

I am quite pleased. I have wanted to build one for a number of years. I sorted the petrol pipe out today. Before it had about six pieces and 4 elbows. I raised the bike stand up to look from a different angle - one pipe to tap and one from tap to carburettor. It was embarrassingly simple. 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I am quite pleased. I have wanted to build one for a number of years. I sorted the petrol pipe out today. Before it had about six pieces and 4 elbows. I raised the bike stand up to look from a different angle - one pipe to tap and one from tap to carburettor. It was embarrassingly simple. 

Just takes another pair of eyes sometimes.

Well done.

as i said before i would hang that on my sitting room wall.......................love the attention to detail...............

what year is that bike and how does it stack up against new bikes.........is that still the fastest gun in town or has it been superceeded now ..?