ATA Arms SP Black

WinkerWatson

Hi everyone

Have just purchased an ATA Arms Sp Black 12 bore with an adjustable comb as my first owned gun. I have been shooting now for a number of years with my father using a Beretta 692 belonging to him.  Still waiting on my licence coming through so hopefully will have it in a few weeks time.

Has anyone got any shooting experience with this gun? At 600quid new I am not expecting it to be the best gun out there but it should hopefully do the job as my first gun.

20190822_193006.jpg

Edited by WinkerWatson

I had an ATA, bought it new, it was faultless and i only sold it because it wasn't getting much use (traded it back against an air rifle actually) I sometimes wish i had kept it, mine was the lightweight alloy action version with 26" barrels. a lovely gun for mooching around with. Mine came with a posh suede and velvet case-do they still supply them?

Hi there. 

Whilst I don’t own one I have shot a few of the ATA’s and a mate of mine has just bought one of the Supersports with adjustable comb. I really like them and for the money I think there a better bet than a tired “top brand” gun. The chap I know traded his Miroku 7000 in for his super sport and is extremely happy with it he’s probably put 1000 cartridges through it and hasn’t had any issues. The only thing I don’t like personally on the ATAs I’ve tried is the rather odd roach belly forend. To me it felt bulky and cumbersome but that’s a small point can’t really find much else negative to say about them. I would have bought one for my son who’s about to step up to a 12 bore from his 20 but that forend was just too big for his hands so we ended up with a second hand 686S which suits him.  All in all a good buy and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. 

Good luck with it!!

Edited by Wingman

34 minutes ago, Wingman said:

The only thing I don’t like personally on the ATAs I’ve tried is the rather odd roach belly forend

Ha, that's what attracted me to mine! 

There a good solid gun, chunky in the hand and shoulder, come up and  point very well. 

100 % reliability out of mine, 8 months and 3000 carts on. 

If I didn't have that many shotguns lurking about, I would definitely consider adding a supersport. 

55 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Hi there. 

Whilst I don’t own one I have shot a few of the ATA’s and a mate of mine has just bought one of the Supersports with adjustable comb. I really like them and for the money I think there a better bet than a tired “top brand” gun. The chap I know traded his Miroku 7000 in for his super sport and is extremely happy with it he’s probably put 1000 cartridges through it and hasn’t had any issues. The only thing I don’t like personally on the ATAs I’ve tried is the rather odd roach belly forend. To me it felt bulky and cumbersome but that’s a small point can’t really find much else negative to say about them. I would have bought one for my son who’s about to step up to a 12 bore from his 20 but that forend was just too big for his hands so we ended up with a second hand 686S which suits him.  All in all a good buy and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. 

Good luck with it!!

Can't have it both ways!

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

100 % reliability out of mine, 8 months and 3000 carts on.

+1, bought mine in December last year, thus far no issues.

Wish I'd bought the adjustable comb version (though I'm not sure it was available at the time).

Only thing to watch for is the 'black' - the barrels have some kind of ceramic coating, but the action is powder coated, which scratches easily, especially if you're doing rough shooting.

10 hours ago, stu64 said:

I had an ATA, bought it new, it was faultless and i only sold it because it wasn't getting much use (traded it back against an air rifle actually) I sometimes wish i had kept it, mine was the lightweight alloy action version with 26" barrels. a lovely gun for mooching around with. Mine came with a posh suede and velvet case-do they still supply them?

As far as I know they come in a cardboard box now. Would have been nice to get a case with it but you cant have everything for 600 pounds. I'm sure we have a few old cases laying around that would fit.

22 hours ago, Wingman said:

True enough, but the 686 I bought was definitely not tired and is near mint. 

The 686 will still be worth around what you paid for it in years to come.

The ATA is ok if that's what you like and it fits you.

The only time I ever used the case a gun came in was to take it home and when I sold it. Other than that it travelled in a gun slip.

Edited by figgy

12 hours ago, figgy said:

The 686 will still be worth around what you paid for it in years to come.

The ATA is ok if that's what you like and it fits you.

The only time I ever used the case a gun came in was to take it home and when I sold it. Other than that it travelled in a gun 

Yes a gun slip is very handy for carrying a gun around on a shoot day but my father always told me it was better to transport a gun broken down in a case rather than having it knocking about the back of a vehicle fully assembled in a slip. 

Just his opinion which I have obviously followed but each to their own mate.

On 01/11/2019 at 21:14, WinkerWatson said:

As far as I know they come in a cardboard box now. Would have been nice to get a case with it but you cant have everything for 600 pounds. I'm sure we have a few old cases laying around that would fit.

You can get a  ATA case from  Sportsman gun centre they about £40 new