Medical records

Pistol p

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

Essex police will require medical records for those applying or reapplying for a firearm or shotgun certificate.

It sounds like Essex is following a number of other forces in requiring a letter signed by your GP certifying that he has checked your records and you are not suffering from a number of medical conditions and in addition you do not suffer from drug or alcohol abuse. You need to download the proforma letter from their website & write to your GP requesting he produces the required letter. You will be expected to pay for the GPs letter if he decides to charge for this service. Kent Police quite clearly state, no letter no licence. You need to consult your GP or the Practice Manager; as not all practices  will produce the required letter.

Don`t bother with BASC. I have spoken to them (twice) on this subject and while they are protesting to all and sundry over this, they are not getting anywhere. The Home Office guidance is exactly that; guidance. Chief Constables seem to be able to go a step beyond and regettably there is little that BASC can do about it.

I have had to change GPs practices because my previous one refused all Police requests for info and would not produce or sign the required letter.

I dont know about Essex; but across the water here in Kent its a case of no letter = no renewal of licence; end of story.

I suggest you read "Are doctors allowed to charge" in General Shooting Matters.

Edited by JJsDad

3 hours ago, mossy835 said:

basc wont sort this out,the police will do as they wish.

I wasn’t suggesting BASC would wade in and stop the Essex plod, but for the OP to contact them for advice, and their take on Essex’s decision! But realistically, If BASC can’t or won’t do **** all, who will?.......toothless or not? They’re all we got!

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

I wasn’t suggesting BASC would wade in and stop the Essex plod, but for the OP to contact them for advice, and their take on Essex’s decision! But realistically, If BASC can’t or won’t do **** all, who will?.......toothless or not? They’re all we got!

That's why we are up :@<> creek without a paddle 

We have the same in Lincolnshire. The Police Crime Commissioner has decided to make a name for himself and a stand against the tens of thousands of deaths caused each year by legally held firearms. I am now deemed fit to hold firearms by a Doctor I have never met, at a surgery I have not been to for around ten years but at least we are all safe from the gun wielding maniacs🤔.

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

We have the same in Lincolnshire. The Police Crime Commissioner has decided to make a name for himself and a stand against the tens of thousands of deaths caused each year by legally held firearms. I am now deemed fit to hold firearms by a Doctor I have never met, at a surgery I have not been to for around ten years but at least we are all safe from the gun wielding maniacs🤔.

.....and car and white van drivers....no I include choco coloured vans with gold writing in that list.....

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

‘....tens of thousands of deaths caused each year by legally held firearms’! Really? 🤔

27 minutes ago, Scully said:

‘....tens of thousands of deaths caused each year by legally held firearms’! Really? 🤔

I think that was meant tongue in cheek? On the basis that any politician who wants to achieve something accentuates (exaggerates!) the thing that supports their case!...telling the truth is avoided if it doesn’t help achieve it!

beat me to it clodhopper

Edited by panoma1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 15:07, Clodhopper said:

Then make a complaint against the crime commissioner it is not in their job description to interfere or dictate operational policing policy.

they are also up for re-election next year so you can vote for their P45.

2 hours ago, bostonmick said:

Has anyone on here used the company medicert to do their GP letter. If so how did it go. 

Before doing so ask them how they can comply with the police medical template letter if, and most do, it container the wording “have you ever” because it will be a virtual certainty that Medicert can not comply, unless you are a teenager.

As all medicert can do with your consent is access your GP online Summary Care Records which unless you are a teenager will not be since birth. 

They have been contacted by email about this but to date have chosen not to reply.

Its a big joke and yet the shooting organisation appear happy to allow the mess to continue rather than spend money on a judicial review, guess they need the money for the staff Christmas party. And the chief Constable don’t care so long as they get the GP letter to cover their backside.

I agree the organisations should have jumped onn this years ago. But as you say they have better things to spend our money on. I myself am at an age where I will only probably want to renew once or maybe twice again however my next one is next year and after that basc will be one member short. I don't expect them to be able to sort everything but do at least try to sort some. Not just the company cars and Christmas Dinner.