"Blueing not going back on" ... Gunsmith

Jgra13

Hi guys,

I recently put my browning b525 into a local gun Smith, a real nice old boy who's been a gun Smith for a long time and now does it in his retirement (based around Salisbury area), for a service. When I took the gun in I asked what could be done about some spots on the blueing (after beaters day I think some blood specks must have been left on barrel and because of the rush to get back for the meal they weren't spotted - gutting!). He said he would be able to re blue the worn areas. 

Anyway called him yesterday to check on progress as the gun has been with him a little while and he explained he is having difficulty re blueing the barrels after removing the old stuff with acid? Forgive my lack of knowledge in the process, he said he was going to try again but had already tried 4 times. Now I'm obviously very concerned about having barrels that are half blued!

Can anyone shed some light on this, and what I can do going forward. Slightly in panic mode at the moment.

Cheers

Josh

All depends on the chemicals he's using . Some steels especially those with high nickel or chrome content are difficult to black with some solutions . Guys who black all the time know this and can adjust the " mix " to suite . This is one of the reasons so many in the trade , no matter what they tell you, send barrel blacking out .

I would suggest to tell your guy to do so as it seems he will not be able to do a decent job , on this , no matter what his other doubtless abilities are .

Always believed it was best to know what you can not do rather than what you can .

A bath of white or cider vinegar takes off old blueing, warming it makes it work faster.  I've never had difficulty reblueing gun barrels, so I wonder if there is a residue to contend with? silicone maybe from cleaning or lubrication products?  I'd polish the bare metal with very fine emery and clean with acetone.