Law reguarding shotgun stocks question

BG90

Hi all, I was just wondering if someone could help me out with some info in regards to the law and shotgun stocks.

I have the chance to buy a .410 3 shot bolt action but the stock is totally wrecked to the point that its not usable, the rest of the gun is in pretty good shape.

My question is do I need to replace the stock with an identical one or can I have a custom made one fitted? [thumb hole style] 

Any info is welcome as it would be a feature/project.

Thank you for the fast reply on the info.

I know it sounds a little odd, not thumb hole as such but more open stock [cut out centre] not really sure how to explain it, as I don't know if the style has a name sorry. 

Its to try and reduce the weight as much as possible, [its a 410 so not exactly heavy to start with, and I am not to worried about the balance]

Would you happen to know if there are any good suppliers of stock blanks in the uk? eg: a stock that is finished externally but needs cutting/recessing to fit the gun.

23 minutes ago, kennett said:

Are you thinking along the lines of skeleton stock, seen on the old poachers folding 410s? Could you buy a cheapy old bolt action and modify the stock? Like one of these? https://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-webley-scott-410-b-a-410-bore-gauge-single-barrel/Shotguns/1085153

Yes a wooden skeleton stock looks right after googling it, thank you for that.

I am only looking at having a custom stock as the gun I am looking at is exactly what I am after and at a very good price the only problem with it is the very damaged stock on it at the moment.

Edited by BG90
Changing I to it

26 minutes ago, BG90 said:

Yes a wooden skeleton stock looks right after googling it, thank you for that.

I am only looking at having a custom stock as the gun I am looking at is exactly what I am after and at a very good price the only problem with it is the very damaged stock on it at the moment.

Buy a one of those cheapy ones, bin the action and barrel and use the stock to chop up 👍

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Buy a one of those cheapy ones, bin the action and barrel and use the stock to chop up 👍

I couldn't butcher one gun to fix another , just wouldn't feel right haha

23 minutes ago, bluesj said:

How about an air rifle or rifle stock, usual some on holts

I have thought about that but even then it would still require work to fit correctly.

3 hours ago, nabbers said:

I have a couple of Winchester Model 67 stocks for  a bolt action .22 gathering dust....

Hi nabbers, Thank you for replying. sadly the gun I was looking at with the broken stock has sold :[

I didn't jump on it fast enough.