Finally game eating is being pushed

team tractor

Shoot's need to do more to get people to take their birds for the table. I honestly think there is a mental barrier to a bird in the feather.

Lots of shoots are now having game prep rooms setup, where they gut, pluck and make the bird oven ready, like you would see a chicken in the super market, and apparently the guns and others are taking away almost everything. 

Guns need to factor this into being part of a shoot, rather than birds being left or buried. 

I saw an amazing video once in America where a duck hunting club all met at the end of the shoot and had a big pot of hot wax, they dipped their birds and then peeled it off and all the feathers came off in one go, amazing when you club together for good results :) 

Great. Pity it is a fair run for us or we would be there and hope it is a great success.

I am finding one or two estates now offering your 'brace' or more oven ready. Now, we don't mind either way but even then when as Catton Estates & Farms does, they present you with a profesionally prepared package of four partridge crowns or three pheasant crowns and all that is needed is to take them out of the wrapper and place them in a closed roaster with some vegetables and you have a seriously good appetising meal.   Show at Wappenstall a few weeks back and they where doing the same. More grease to their elbows and wish them every success.   I have twenty packs ordered from Catton for our deep freeze to add to the birds I get from each shoot.  Sliced partridge breast pieces in a hot skilet tonight in fact.

38 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Shoot's need to do more to get people to take their birds for the table. I honestly think there is a mental barrier to a bird in the feather.

Lots of shoots are now having game prep rooms setup, where they gut, pluck and make the bird oven ready, like you would see a chicken in the super market, and apparently the guns and others are taking away almost everything. 

Guns need to factor this into being part of a shoot, rather than birds being left or buried. 

I saw an amazing video once in America where a duck hunting club all met at the end of the shoot and had a big pot of hot wax, they dipped their birds and then peeled it off and all the feathers came off in one go, amazing when you club together for good results  

Have a word with your other half and get her to eat it 😬😬

I’ve tried to push game to people I know. You mention pigeon and they think club footed feral pigeons flying around city centres nicking chips. Pheasant and Partridge gets a few people interested but they want it all ready to go, I prep birds for people that don’t know how to do it but only the once, after that they can learn how to prep a bird like everybody else. More people than I expected have said “why don’t you just get meat from a supermarket?” People have become very far removed from the fact that meat involves taking a life. 

34 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Great. Pity it is a fair run for us or we would be there and hope it is a great success.

I am finding one or two estates now offering your 'brace' or more oven ready. Now, we don't mind either way but even then when as Catton Estates & Farms does, they present you with a profesionally prepared package of four partridge crowns or three pheasant crowns and all that is needed is to take them out of the wrapper and place them in a closed roaster with some vegetables and you have a seriously good appetising meal.   Show at Wappenstall a few weeks back and they where doing the same. More grease to their elbows and wish them every success.   I have twenty packs ordered from Catton for our deep freeze to add to the birds I get from each shoot.  Sliced partridge breast pieces in a hot skilet tonight in fact.

30 mins for you I think 😎. I think I’m booking it up :) 

my mate said it’s to expensive but I think it’s alright. Walk in and eat and leave 

34 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

30 mins for you I think 😎. I think I’m booking it up :) 

my mate said it’s to expensive but I think it’s alright. Walk in and eat and leave 

I take birds to a local restaurant in feather; I’m not allowed by legislation to part with them any other way. A local butcher is obliged by law to construct a designated ‘dirty area’ to process any birds given to him, although he will pay good money for processed birds. 
I sometimes take birds to a local lady who oven preps them, I pay her and dear old ladies pay me, and it’s all done on the quiet. The older generation don’t need telling how good game meat is, getting the present generation to accept it as such is another matter. 
BIG shoot has a chiller all birds are stored in prior to collection, and the only thing wrong that shoot which made the headlines last season did wrong, was the manner in which it disposed of its processed carcasses.