What's this cartridge?

Hi all

I recently picked up a mixed batch of carts from a mate of my dads who gave up shooting

All are the usual Hull or Gamebore etc, but this one was one I've never seen before!

Just curious if anyone could shed some light on it or have used them on the past etc

Thanks all

20191103_161120_resized_1.jpg

20191103_161132_resized_1.jpg

20191103_161138_resized_1.jpg

20191103_161143_resized_1.jpg

Many, many years ago one of the only cartridges available was Eley. In the 1960s Sellier and Bellot cartridges were imported as  cheaper alternative.  I shot a few thousand of the plastic case clay shells in the 1980s. Decent cartridges, if a little punchy. Still producing cartridges.

Sellior and Bellot 'Trainer' cartridge, a light load ( 24/5 grams) aimed at Eley's beige coloured Trainer cartridge. Fibre and confetti wads. I still have 2 of the wooden transport boxes that had 500 in each. Edgar Bros. were the importers/suppliers. They were based in Liverpool back then (early seventies). They certainly killed pigeons in both feathered and clay varieties.

I was given a couple of the 'new' models a few weeks ago. 

Edited by Westley

hello, i remember the  S and Bs very well, much favoured due to the low cost and could buy in packs of 10s, pocket money when i was still at school then joined the Oxford gun club, much long gone and we all used these as well as Baikals, Eley were still favourite when game shooting,  

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

they were bloody awful.......................i used to buy them in packets of 10....and they were all stuck together with bloody wax....out of every 10 you would get at least 2 duds...

This wot Ditchy sez. I couldn’t kill sitting pigeons at 10 yards with them.

5 minutes ago, dipper said:

Must have got a bad batch all mine were ok

Mine too.  I shot several 25 straights at DTL with the 6 (6 1/2's) 25 gram version and countless pigeons too. They were very dirty though and you had to remember to shut your eyes after the 'bang', if the wind was into your face.  😄      We shot thousands of them at the local gun club.

I had a slab of 250 clay loads a few years ago, they were new at the time. 

A nice smooth cartridge to shoot, were a roll too with a clear plastic cap (if that’s what it’s called). The whole package spoke quality. 

If you pointed them in the right direction, they also broke clays well. 

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

Odd isn’t it, I could never do any good with S&B’s in the 60’s /70’s but used thousands of Baikals to great effect. I often wonder why.

PS I still blame Baikals for my deafness!

I blame the lack of hearing protection for my deafness  !

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

This is the back of the box. I guess these would date back to the 70's - I can't have been very impressed or I would have finished the box.

86Der8rm.jpg

Ahh yes I've got that one, + 1 other different one, not sure how many they used. 

I don't stoot them either, I just like the 10 packs for my collection lol

Thanks for posting 👍

Edited by Farmboy91

On 03/11/2019 at 19:04, Westley said:

Mine too.  I shot several 25 straights at DTL with the 6 (6 1/2's) 25 gram version and countless pigeons too. They were very dirty though and you had to remember to shut your eyes after the 'bang', if the wind was into your face.  😄      We shot thousands of them at the local gun club.

Yes, I shot quite a few at clays back in the 70s as well and apart from the confetti out of the end they seemed to break clays ok. The ones shown are not the same however as I never saw the Prcatis/Vermin Control label.    They did come flat packed as Ditchie says but don't recall any sticky wax.

Then the club coughed up for a PW375 loader so we loaded all of our own practise shells.