Couple of this weekends knives.....

Miroku_Dave

Morning all, 

I managed to get a few hours in the garage this weekend finishing a couple of knives; and certainly not my usual types! 

The first one is for a chap whose an Armed police officer, its 8670 steel with a black micarta handle and 'thin blue line' G10 liners. It has stainless steel pins and a carbon fibre lanyard tube. This is my first time using micarta and ill be honest, i'm not a fan! 

The second is for a lad at work, its the same style (What i call 'The Sheriff' - Long story) but with Juma Handles with carbon fibre effect. I used some Spartan Helmet Mosaic pins which are quite popular with squaddies!

These both have a scandi grind, my first try of these and i'm impressed with how sharp they are without too much effort. Ill definitely be doing more Scandi knives in the future!

I've had a request from a company who sell gear to soldiers to make a run of five themed knives for them to sell on their website, its a bit of a big step and i'm not sure i want to become that serious but its kind of reassuring that i'm getting this right. 

Have a great week everyone :good:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Go for it on the themed knives, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

I like the look of that black micarta knife, the scandi grind of that size is much easier to maintain or sharpen a chip out of than full grind. On a full grind i get sick and end up putting a micro bevel on.

39 minutes ago, ditchman said:

beautifully finished off...........a good strong working edge............i (personally) would prefer a much deeper scandi grind.........

im not into sythetic handles ........but those i like :good:

is it possible to chequer that material you use ?

I know what you mean about the deeper grind, i got put off though as I did try one that got way too thin and burned, I will give another one a go, maybe on a smaller knife. 

I'm sure i could checker it but i'm not sure how yet? I've got a Dremel but i don't think it would look very neat?

You might be able to help me as well Ditchman, I'm trying to find a Jimping or checkering file but coming up stuck! You dont know where i might be able to find one do you?

1 hour ago, Miroku_Dave said:

I know what you mean about the deeper grind, i got put off though as I did try one that got way too thin and burned, I will give another one a go, maybe on a smaller knife. 

I'm sure i could checker it but i'm not sure how yet? I've got a Dremel but i don't think it would look very neat?

You might be able to help me as well Ditchman, I'm trying to find a Jimping or checkering file but coming up stuck! You dont know where i might be able to find one do you?

i know nothing about chequering...........regards doing the scandi grind.......how do you cut your edge ...what machine do you use......i can cut a 2deg full edge with my machine   as i can make it run very slow..........BUT.....it takes a long time..........took me 3 days to cut down to a 2.5mm edge....then i heat treated and tempered and another day to cut down to the final thickness

i rekon if you could learn to chequer...and partically did the handle it would look soooo sweet...:good:

They look fantastic, very well made and strong.  I'm always a fan of a well made blade but am a looker now not a user.

I've no idea about how to make or design them, only what I like. When I was serving I liked the Wilkie survival knife. Similar to an Army tree beater(issue machete) but smaller and stronger. If you made a run of those I think they'd sell out but by those that actually use rather than collect them.

👍👍

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

They look fantastic, very well made and strong.  I'm always a fan of a well made blade but am a looker now not a user.

I've no idea about how to make or design them, only what I like. When I was serving I liked the Wilkie survival knife. Similar to an Army tree beater(issue machete) but smaller and stronger. If you made a run of those I think they'd sell out but by those that actually use rather than collect them.

👍👍

Its funny you should say that! I'm working on an issued survival knife and I've drawn up a pattern for the Wilkinson version as well!

They're both roughly the same size but ones a flat sabre grind and the other has quite a harsh sabre. 

There's a few oddities with the handle being slightly larger than the tang to prevent freezing to your hand but I will probably use some artistic license there.:good:

These will be my version rather than accurate replicas i think, the main aim being reducing the weight a bit and actually being sharp! :lol:

1.jpg

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i know nothing about chequering...........regards doing the scandi grind.......how do you cut your edge ...what machine do you use......i can cut a 2deg full edge with my machine   as i can make it run very slow..........BUT.....it takes a long time..........took me 3 days to cut down to a 2.5mm edge....then i heat treated and tempered and another day to cut down to the final thickness

i rekon if you could learn to chequer...and partically did the handle it would look soooo sweet...:good:

I have a downland engineering grinder so I can adjust the angle but not the speed unfortunately. I think with time and patience i'll get the hang of it!  

I'm googling checkering rather than getting any work done now :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

Its funny you should say that! I'm working on an issued survival knife and I've drawn up a pattern for the Wilkinson version as well!

They're both roughly the same size but ones a flat sabre grind and the other has quite a harsh sabre. 

There's a few oddities with the handle being slightly larger than the tang to prevent freezing to your hand but I will probably use some artistic license there.:good:

These will be my version rather than accurate replicas i think, the main aim being reducing the weight a bit and actually being sharp! :lol:

1.jpg

That's about it, comfy (ish) to use. Nightmare to keep sharp, I had an oil stone, a wet stone, various knife sharpeners, file, rod thingy and still used to get it on the grinder every so often. Almost indestructible, you could chop, cut, skin, hammer and really abuse it and it still performed. It also used to show rust very quick even when sat idle in my bergan. The weight actually helps when chopping. Making it too light would detract from one of its uses.

I was gutted when mine was stolen just a  few years ago. I'd had it from 1975, but the blade was stamped 1967. 

Edited by Centrepin
Addition

17 hours ago, Rupert said:

You do any damascus? i would like one with a larger then standard handle.

I don't really do Damascus mate, I've found the stuff on eBay and amazon is rather untrustworthy and the proper stuff is crazy expensive! 

I've been given a small piece by my supplier to make him a knife and it would have cost £150 for me to buy!

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

https://knifemaking.com/search?type=product&q= file*

These sell files for knife making

Cheers Mate :good:

10 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

Mainly the dust mate, and i just prefer the overall look of the hard wood handles really. 

Fair enough.  I've been thinking of trying either micarta or acrylic for a stalking knife, perhaps kirinite.  The project is still in the ideas phase for now.

16 hours ago, John_R said:

Fair enough.  I've been thinking of trying either micarta or acrylic for a stalking knife, perhaps kirinite.  The project is still in the ideas phase for now.

Kirinite is good but you have to be so careful drilling it and it can be a nightmare to polish up. 

Have you thought about Juma? I love the stuff and its a lot more forgiving.