Wirehaired Vizsla

EHK-312

Hello, 

I`m after some advice again please, I recently had a weekend`s rough shooting and our host had a pair HWV that we shot over and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the dogs work and got it in to my head that they would be the breed I would look to work next.

I`ve had my spaniel now for two years and he`s a brilliant dog that does all I need of him however I understand there will be major differences in training & handling a pointer compared to a spaniel and I just wondered if anyone could share their own experiences with Vizsla`s and any inside tips on them, if I was to go ahead in the future.

Thank You !

Edited by EHK-312
Typing Error

Firstly..... viszlas smooth or wire hair are different to any other dog I have known and to get the best from one you have to understand that.  They are even different to GSPs etc.

This is why the Viszla Society get so many handed in because they ..don't fit....and ...the potential owners haven't a clue about the breed.

I have had five and had loads of fun with them.  You must be firm and make a strong bond, they do not kennel well and sometimes are difficult to put in kennels for holidays unless the kennel owners are pointer/viszla trained.  We always had home/viszla sitters and even then they where folk who knew the breed.

Am I putting you off ...hope not because they are superb hunting pals and will never tell you a lie.

I purchased my first one through Louise Petrihay (hope I spelt that right) from Inkberrow and she looked at me in disdain but I heard she was doing the rounds on me and eventually she rang and said she had reserved the first puppy of a litter by the dog I had foolishly suggested I should buy from her ...."He's far to clever"   ..she didn't say "for you" but I read into it.  She knew viszlas back to front and was just making sure this one ws going to a good home.  We fetched that first one from the Suffolk coast, round trip 300 miles but old Sika was well worth it and we had 14 brilliant years with him.

Check out the Viszla Society and see if they have any training trials arranged.   

My friend also had one of the best hunters I have known.  I had him for six months and taught him his manners and he was always my best friend as a result.

Deisel became notorious for suddenly going missing after a drive and Roger would shout, Deez would then appear almost always carrying a dead pheasant we had missed or snook in as in the photo from behind without being seen. Hilarious.

P1010050.JPG

015.jpg

Edited by Walker570

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

I had read about the issues with kennelling them and also how they don`t react well to a telling off. I`m glad you mentioned the Vizsla society and I`ll definitely have a look in to that.  As with my spaniel I done my research and studied training methods prior to him coming home and I believe that put me in good stead. Do you know of any Vizsla training books or DVD`s I could purchase to get a head start ? 

I`ve always been told don`t by a dog on appearance, base it on what you`d actually need out of the dog. So this leads me on to my next question, my main forms of shooting are a days in the pigeon hide, followed by rough shooting & the odd flight pond due the game & wildfowl seasons. In your experience would you believe a Vizsla be capable in all three forms ? 

By the way what a pair stunning dogs (apologies if they are the same dog), I`m not sure there`s ever been a more regal breed however I`m maybe being bias as I`m part obsessed with them at present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cracking dogs Nev, Diesel looks shredded, a very well built dog, I also like Vizslas.

On 04/11/2019 at 16:51, EHK-312 said:

I`ve always been told don`t by a dog on appearance, base it on what you`d actually need out of the dog. So this leads me on to my next question, my main forms of shooting are a days in the pigeon hide, followed by rough shooting & the odd flight pond due the game & wildfowl seasons. In your experience would you believe a Vizsla be capable in all three forms ? 

I've got a cracking book at home, I'll take a pic when I'm back.

On 04/11/2019 at 16:51, EHK-312 said:

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

I had read about the issues with kennelling them and also how they don`t react well to a telling off. I`m glad you mentioned the Vizsla society and I`ll definitely have a look in to that.  As with my spaniel I done my research and studied training methods prior to him coming home and I believe that put me in good stead. Do you know of any Vizsla training books or DVD`s I could purchase to get a head start ? 

By the way what a pair stunning dogs (apologies if they are the same dog), I`m not sure there`s ever been a more regal breed however I`m maybe being bias as I`m part obsessed with them at present.

Apologies for the delay but all of my dogs where multi purpose.  Would sit at a peg if asked, would go pigeon flighting, duck flighting, stalking, rough shooting or just enjoy a good walk.

They do need excersise, I think as much if not more than a spaniel.     THE book any viszsla owner should have is   THE HUNGARIAN VIZSLA   by Gay Gottlieb  this book covers everyhting about the breed.   

On 10/12/2019 at 13:27, Mice! said:

Cracking dogs Nev, Diesel looks shredded, a very well built dog, I also like Vizslas.

I've got a cracking book at home, I'll take a pic when I'm back.

Thanks Mice, that will be really handy !

On 10/12/2019 at 14:41, Walker570 said:

Apologies for the delay but all of my dogs where multi purpose.  Would sit at a peg if asked, would go pigeon flighting, duck flighting, stalking, rough shooting or just enjoy a good walk.

They do need excersise, I think as much if not more than a spaniel.     THE book any viszsla owner should have is   THE HUNGARIAN VIZSLA   by Gay Gottlieb  this book covers everyhting about the breed.   

Thanks again for getting back to me and I`ll have a look out for the book, great to hear they are capable in pretty much all areas and I must say again what stunning dogs !

• 1 month later...

I now have my second Wirehair Viz, I can only speak about those two but I believe they are great.  The HWV are different breed to the smooth, not just a coat variation but a newish breed formed from crossing several continental types.

The first one was a fully trained 4 year old when i was given him, owner emigrated, he was great but ran in terribly, mainly I believe due to him being used on stand and walk shoots every Saturday where the fastest dog got the retrieve.

The second I have had from a pup and trained him myself, although he basically trained himself, all I did was instill and reinforce the basics of heal, sit and stay. I use him mainly for beating, wildfowling, peg dog and deer stalking.  He is very friendly, very soft, sometimes completely barmy, and all in all very good at what he does (although this one is not a strong water dog). 

the one thing I will say is that neither dog were/ are great in heavy cover, they will hunt hard but dislike brambles, nettles etc, much more in their element in fields of beet or in open woodland, basically anything that does nor scratch or sting them. 

8 hours ago, scolopax said:

I now have my second Wirehair Viz, I can only speak about those two but I believe they are great.  The HWV are different breed to the smooth, not just a coat variation but a newish breed formed from crossing several continental types.

The first one was a fully trained 4 year old when i was given him, owner emigrated, he was great but ran in terribly, mainly I believe due to him being used on stand and walk shoots every Saturday where the fastest dog got the retrieve.

The second I have had from a pup and trained him myself, although he basically trained himself, all I did was instill and reinforce the basics of heal, sit and stay. I use him mainly for beating, wildfowling, peg dog and deer stalking.  He is very friendly, very soft, sometimes completely barmy, and all in all very good at what he does (although this one is not a strong water dog). 

the one thing I will say is that neither dog were/ are great in heavy cover, they will hunt hard but dislike brambles, nettles etc, much more in their element in fields of beet or in open woodland, basically anything that does nor scratch or sting them. 

Thats a viszla wirehaired or smooth. They are different and to own one you have to appreciate that. Loyal and never tell lies.