Lambs in November?

harrycatcat1

2 reasons they lamb early. 1 it's the showing people. If your lamb is out now then by May it's 6 months old and fully grown even if its not completely furnished. Bigger, better lambs win rosettes and rosettes make them and the flock more valuable. 2 lamb prices peak at easter. There will be more knowledgeable people than me on here but the abattoirs want 43kg lambs. Depending on when easter falls it gives them a better chance to get up to weight. Down side is cost. Natural covering relys on the shortening days to get the ewes cycling but to get them going earlier it needs a chemical kicstart. We're aiming to lamb earlier than ever in February rather than April. Hill flocks might not even think about lambing until the end of April because of the weather. If we have a return of the beast from the east I may be looking for a big shed to house them all so it's all a roll of the dice.

19 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

2 reasons they lamb early. 1 it's the showing people. If your lamb is out now then by May it's 6 months old and fully grown even if its not completely furnished. Bigger, better lambs win rosettes and rosettes make them and the flock more valuable. 2 lamb prices peak at easter. There will be more knowledgeable people than me on here but the abattoirs want 43kg lambs. Depending on when easter falls it gives them a better chance to get up to weight. Down side is cost. Natural covering relys on the shortening days to get the ewes cycling but to get them going earlier it needs a chemical kicstart. We're aiming to lamb earlier than ever in February rather than April. Hill flocks might not even think about lambing until the end of April because of the weather. If we have a return of the beast from the east I may be looking for a big shed to house them all so it's all a roll of the dice.

Well explained, thanks 👍👍

My older cousin who has farmed in the lakes does not lamb till well into April . I asked him once why he was so late , he said basically  I am a hill farmer , and we time it so the grass has started growing. So then he does not have to feed them . This may go back to a time when they were not so worried about the spring lamb getting into the shop , and when there was money in wool . 

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

If I recall the favoured breed for 'out of season' lambing is the  Poll Dorset. But maybe these days there's another continental breed that's better. And as far as I'm aware you still have to 'sponge' them to get them in season in a group.

You are spot on. Either Poll Dorset or Poll Dorset X mule.

November lambing produces lambs for the Easter market and gain around an extra £15/£20 in a good trade.

Dorset's will breed at any time and will lamb 3 times in a 2 year period.