How to stalk trout

Ferret664

Now I’m generally a resevior man when it comes to fly fishing but recently for my dads birthday I treated him to a day at dever springs to try for a dever double as they say . Well I must say it was totally different to resevior fishing and the fish were a lot harder to catch then I thought . My dad got two biggest 9lb and I had 3 up to 8lb but other guys were catching their four fish limit very quickly and upon asking them they said they were stalking fish with heavy weighted flies ? I did find a tungsten bloodworm with marabou tail and that is what did that damage for us but that was just casting and retrieving. So just really looking for advice on how to stalk trout really as my dad is keen to have another go again soon ?   

To me stalking fish has always meant keeping down so you your not silhouetted against the sky to stalk up or along a river bank to get to the fish. No different to stalking any quarry.  I think they may be talking about dropping the fly in upstream and letting it run/drift with the water down to the fish.

Glad you both enjoyed your day, i always prefer a river to a pond or res.