Guest day report

Ferret664

Well on Saturday I was lucky enough to be invited on a shoot not to far from me as one of my friends who is a syndicate member couldn’t make their first day and offered me the chance to fill his place with I quickly accepted . So the morning arrived and with great excitement I got ready loaded up the truck and headed off . I met up with team at around 8.15 and had a good chat to everyone who was very nice and friendly . We drew pegs and where off at around 9.15 I was to be peg number 4 for the first drive . I always love shooting somewhere new , seeing new drives and not knowing what to expect . The first drive was a funny one for me with 50mph winds and rain and the birds went over all guns except me in the middle but it was nice to watch the other guns take (and miss) some fantastic birds for their first time over and in such strong winds . Second drive I was peg seven standing out on a field with a small cover in front and spinney behind and to my right so wasn’t exactly sure where to look as they were pushing everything to the base of the cover crop . I was looking at the spinney behind me when my girlfriend who was with me today watching said to the right and a crossing hen was dropped behind me but unfortunately we searched and searched but she was nowhere to be found . The next drive was quiet for me as I stood up near the top of a hill but got to watch some great birds and shooting in the valley below me to the middle order guns . Next drive was my drive , I was informed that I was in the hotspot and it soon turned out to be the case . A small flush saw four pheasants come my way I took a shot at the first bird but realised the second bird was a better birds so having missed the first barrel  my second barrel folded the better bird. Just enough time to reload and I saw a hen well up there and climbing and beginning to curl and with about 9 foot of lead she tumbled first barrel one to truly remember  . Again as quick as I could reload and look up and another pheasant was hurtling my way this time a cock bird missed the first barrel but the second barrel barked from the side by side and the bird crumpled to the shot and then the last bird of the drive for me made a bee line right up me and folded neatly to my first barrel and that was the drive over for me and I was over the moon with my four birds that drive . Next drive I missed a magpie that needed more about 10 foot of lead rather the two I gave it ! Then we had lunch just a sit in a barn with your pack lunch kind of lunch the best kind I say then we were out for the last three drives of the day . The first drive after lunch followed the pattern of the first drive of the day with birds parting either side of me but after my four birds earlier on I was happy to watch and my last bird came to the second from last drive . I was position I’m a nice little cut out in a little block of woodland which would be snap shooting and it was ! I only had one bird come over me and he required a snap second barrel as I missed terribly with my first . The last drive soon came and went and it was back to count the bag and reflect on another great if not a bit breezy and wet day in the field .  Total for day was 41 head a cracking little day .