Explain to me please

henry d

In America a large floating object attached to a ship/seabed/other maritime object is called a buoy, pronounced in the UK; "boy" is pronounced "boo-ee" in the USA.

Does it follow that something that floats, that is buoyant, in the USA is pronounced "boo-ee-yant" rather than "boy-ant".

Vive la difference? 

Edited by henry d

11 minutes ago, henry d said:

In America a large floating object attached to a ship/seabed/other maritime object is called a buoy, pronounced in the UK; "boy" is pronounced "boo-ee" in the USA.

Does it follow that something that floats, that is buoyant, in the USA is pronounced "boo-ee-yant" rather than "boy-ant".

Vive la difference? 

Henry you don’t have to travel as far as America, Scotland has its own examples of which two immediately strike me. 

tablet as in a sweet in Scotland and drugs south of the border

dyke as in stone wall in Scotland and south of the border......well you get my drift 😂

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Henry you don’t have to travel as far as America, Scotland has its own examples of which two immediately strike me. 

tablet as in a sweet in Scotland and drugs south of the border

dyke as in stone wall in Scotland and south of the border......well you get my drift 😂

A dike is another name for hedge in Cumbria. 
I doubt there are many other things as illogical ( UK firearms legislation being a possible exception ) as the English language. 

Edited by Scully

A dike in the US are side cutters, or diagonal cutters.

As well as forgetting to pronounce the 'l' in solder, the 'h' in herb appears to be strictly optional.

'Homely' in the US has negative connotations, i.e. simple, basic, unrefined, whereas in the UK it is positive, I.e. basic, simple, comforting.

Does appear they have the more correct pronunciation of alloys which contain the element AI as their principal component.

Too many people on both sides of the Atlantic conflate it's and its.  And as for 'should of' - see me afterwards, boy.

When I was diving Truk Lagoon (Federated states of Micronesia) the Americans were wearing  "T" shirts stating "I dove Truk Lagoon". I pointed out (humorously) that the past tense for dive was "I dived". The response was that you Brits drive your cars but the past tense isn't that you drived but you drove. Hence we Americans dove Truk lagoon. Touché.

Having lived and worked in the US I can tell you there are many different words, just take a car, Fender,  trunk, hood, shift, gas pedal, wind shield, headers etc. They put an extra "r" in carbu-rater.

And don't start me off on their spelling

https://www.spellzone.com/blog/Sixty_American_English_Words_and_their_British_English_Counterparts.htm

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

The response was that you Brits drive your cars but the past tense isn't that you drived but you drove. Hence we Americans dove Truk lagoon. Touché.

And if your car breaks down in the US it gets 'drug' home by a wrecker/tow truck.  Not dragged. Drug.  As in the thing you get from the chemist.  Sorry, drug store.