Explain to me please

henry d

4 hours ago, Bobba said:

When I was diving Truk Lagoon (Federated states of Micronesia) the Americans were wearing  "T" shirts stating "I dove Truk Lagoon". I pointed out (humorously) that the past tense for dive was "I dived". The response was that you Brits drive your cars but the past tense isn't that you drived but you drove. Hence we Americans dove Truk lagoon. Touché.

Our language; we decide!

Thirty years ago I spent sometime in the backwoods of Virginia. One day I took a horse trailer to a blacksmith for some welding to be carried out on it. Once I had explained what I required the man asked me how long I had spent in the States. When I told him a few months he looked on with some incredulity and said........'Hell, for someone who ain't been here long you sure do speak pretty good English'.

Not surprised. In the early 1950s on a "showing the flag" cruise on a frigate in the RN we visited lots of small towns on the south coast of the USA. Talking to locals they were amazed that we spoke the same language.  Southern USA was still a bit backwards then. For some obscure reason we fired a salute on entering one harbour. They thought they were being attacked and called out the militia. Panic all round with a motley gang of men armed with all sorts of old weapons to greet us.

Not the same thing, but we have been booking properties for a short stay in southern Spain. One place in the old town in Cadiz received good reviews except for one from a chap in Indiana, who gave it one star because there was no parking and it was difficult to find, even with satnav. Errr... I don’t think they’d thought of cars in the 16th century.

With apologies to our many friends from the US who would never say anything so daft.

On 05/11/2019 at 07:52, Scully said:

There is a small village near to where I live called Brough ( pronounced Bruff ) and twenty miles west of there a hamlet called  Brougham ( pronounced Broom ) go figure. 

There`s a few of those here in Kent -:

Wrotham pronounced Rootum

Meopham pronounced Mepum

and of course Trottiscliffe pronounced Trosley :hmm:

OB

1 hour ago, Townie said:

.... One place in the old town in Cadiz received good reviews except for one from a chap in Indiana, who gave it one star because there was no parking and it was difficult to find, even with satnav. Errr... I don’t think they’d thought of cars in the 16th century.....

With apologies to our many friends from the US who would never say anything so daft.

Allegedly...

On an incoming US flight to Heathrow passengers were advised by the Captain / First Officer that if they looked out of the windows on right side of the aircraft they would get a very good view of Windsor Castle.

To which someone replied "Jeez. Why build a castle on an airport approach"? :doh:

On 05/11/2019 at 14:00, JDog said:

Thirty years ago I spent sometime in the backwoods of Virginia. One day I took a horse trailer to a blacksmith for some welding to be carried out on it. Once I had explained what I required the man asked me how long I had spent in the States. When I told him a few months he looked on with some incredulity and said........'Hell, for someone who ain't been here long you sure do speak pretty good English'.

Where did he think you were from Russia, you get fools everywhere.

20 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Allegedly...

On an incoming US flight to Heathrow passengers were advised by the Captain / First Officer that if they looked out of the windows on right side of the aircraft they would get a very good view of Windsor Castle.

To which someone replied "Jeez. Why build a castle on an airport approach"? :doh:

Had something similar many years ago when doing classes on the legends of Sussex, we were doing a walk around Pevensey  castle and someone asked why they built it so near the road. Then on another walk in Rye we were talking about someone being walled up the same person said "isn't that dangerous, they could die!"