Radio Controlled stuff/ helicoptors / edf jets

Arron yeates

I fly Discus Launch Glider, Electric Glider and Thermal Glider but, unfortunately not near you, nor heli's or edf.

Have you seen the new regs that wrap us up with drone operators?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50293106

Fortunately BMFA members have been given a bit of leeway.

I know you said Sutton don't do hellis but their rule book says they do, the link to the rule book is on there website.

Anyhow can you fly a helli or do you want to learn.

Have you checked with the BMFA for local clubs and are you aware of the new laws coming in to force very soon

Edited by sportsbob

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

I know you said Sutton don't do hellis but their rule book says they do, the link to the rule book is on there website.

Anyhow can you fly a helli or do you want to learn.

Have you checked with the BMFA for local clubs and are you aware of the new laws coming in to force very soon

When you say sutton are you refering to Fradley park?

13 hours ago, Arron yeates said:

Yeah green acres in 2 minutes away from me but they dont allow helicoptors. Reallt struggling to get anywhere

According to their rules they do allow helicopters but they put a maximum noise level of 82 dB at 7 metres, what dB is yours?....rules (18) flying Multirotors & Helicopters…http://www.greenacresmac.co.uk/index.php/about-us/rules

1 hour ago, old'un said:

According to their rules they do allow helicopters but they put a maximum noise level of 82 dB at 7 metres, what dB is yours?....rules (18) flying Multirotors & Helicopters…http://www.greenacresmac.co.uk/index.php/about-us/rules

The OP said it is electric so noise is not the issue, I think the main problem is he is not yet proficient and as most of the clubs are in public places they require you have at least an A certificate to fly solo and others also require you to have a safety marshal or spotter. In all fairness to the clubs they get loads of people every year wanting to have free help and time only to fail especially with helis and if there is only one or two club members that can actually fly helicopters then its their personal time they are understandably reluctant to give. 

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

There are flight sims now which are excellent. My son practices 3 D in the comfort of his bedroom. You can configure the sim to match your aircraft.

In the long run it can be cheaper😁

I used CSM V3 over 20 years ago before taking my Shuttle ZXX out, sims are a training aid but they do not teach you to fly a heli . Another problem with a sim is there in no fear and you also tend to fly within a small box.  I was on the flightine at a show some years back when a young lad came and did a 3D demo in front of us, when he was asked for his B cert he admitted he did not have one and when asked to fly a circuit he could not do one. The OP said he is already approaching the hovering stage so he needs to get a basic 5 or 600 class heli out with training undercarriage on it and learn his six hover points and then progress through lazy eights into forward flight, also he should do it with a normal rate gyro and not a heading hold. All of this needs space so with the club reluctance perhaps a way forward is to ask some local farmers if he can use the corner of a field for a modest fee to get the skills needed to then take his A test and back to where he is now and find a club to take his test with.

Mines electric its got a slight turbine wine to it and blade chatter under load but not really loud like a fueled heli. Ill have a check with green acres lads. Im willing to pay someone to teach me i just want to get the confidence to lift her off the ground sadely. I had a flybarless head and new gyro installed and setup by mikes models / Lan Danaire models its apparently been test flown but not by me..... My little 6 channel which is light i can lift off and hover but manuvers are not easy at all haha

Ok so i clicked the green acre link. Atvthe bottom about helis it states upto a 450 size..... mines a 500