Seeland shooting coats

Townie

Time to retire the ancient Barbour and I’m after a new coat. 
Must be waterproof and warm. Don’t want tweed and I don’t want to spend much more than £150 or so. 

Seeland look good. Anybody got one?

BTW, I don’t want to refettle the Barbour. Waxed cotton has had its day as far as I am concerned!

21 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have a Jack Pyke jacket and also a stalking smock both excellent. I have a Shooterking lined jacket its very waterproof and hard wearing. I have a Sealand Jacket its rubbish, leaks like a sieve. 

What he said, Jack Pyke jackets seem good for the money.  Used mine on Saturday on a rough shoot, it chucked it down all day and I was dry.  Used my new waterproof decathlon trousers for the first time too, again really good, so I'd definitely consider the jacket in the same range.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

This will be the fifth season for my Seeland. Seen some very wet days and not leaked yet. Dunno the model, was a half price clearance at a game fair.

You do know there is actually no such thing as a truly waterproof coat? They all leak eventually. 

When my Schoffel leaked after 8 years, they replaced it.

45 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

When my Schoffel leaked after 8 years, they replaced it.

That is very good service. Schoffel are excellent coats all round.

I too have some Deerhunter stuff. Jacket must be, er, I dunno how old it is but still not leaking.

I think the membranes degrade over time, whatever coat . I have a twenty year old Duck Dri, still ok, but the wife had a different model that only lasted about four seasons.

I really pushed the boat out and bought a discontinued Snowbee fishing/field 3/4 length coat. Neoprene inner cuffs, foldaway peaked hood, fleece lined handwarmer pockets, 2 large cartridge pockets with straps to keep them open, zipped front and inside pockets and a large inside zipped game pocket, all for £65 brand new off the bay. Bought it last season but spent every shoot day in shirt sleeves, however, it has stood the test on the last 2 Saturdays. Great coat.

See if John Norris has anything in his ‘upstairs’ sale? Possibly not the right time of year, but I’ve had two Musto jackets out of his sales. Still have them and still giving good service after more than ten years, despite one having a rip in the sleeve....patched with pro clima tape. 🙂 Both were exactly your asking price. 

I have a number of items of Seeland clothing. It`s hugely overpriced and badly made. I put on the salopettes and my foot went through the inner lining and the top press stud broke the first time I used it. The Keeper jacket has a huge hood that flops over ones eyes with a volume reducer that does`nt work. A row of stitches had run across the waist draw cord and it broke the first time I pulled it tight. The actual cut of the jacket sleeves means they are long and excessively baggy and the material itself is flimsy in the extreme. I could go on. There are better makes of clothing available.

47 minutes ago, Down South said:

French brand Percussion fits your budget. A mate that pickups and beats twice a week has had one of their coats for a couple of seasons and has nothing but praise for it. I tried their Normandy jacket, ideal for cold weather use. 

I have a pair of their lined trousers. Great in winter and waterproof but a bit too warm for summer. Very well made and tough.

Real deep pockets too.

On 05/11/2019 at 20:37, Rob525 said:

I have a few seeland items including the marsh coat and there all very waterproof and a good fit BUT the stitching is very poor, fraid ends and have had to have belt loops re stitched etc

I had a pair of seeland trousers, the material the trousers were lined with came apart at the seams, stitching was very poor, think they were called Eaton trousers, put me off seeland.