Temporary muzzleloader - legal?

DorsetBlue

Okay, here is a slightly weird question. If you were to use one of these in a old (no back boring etc) cylinder choke 410 shotgun:

https://www.gunadapters.com/410-to-209-muzzle-loading-adapter-1/

Would you then be able to legally use that shotgun to fire patched roundballs using BP (or subs) at a cleared shooting range on an SGC, essentially temporarily converting it into a .410 musket?

I am wondering if this would come under the same exclusion as smoothbore muskets or whether the temporary status of the adapter would prevent that exclusion being valid?

Just now, GingerCat said:

What exclusion ? It would turn a section 2 into a section 1. The firearms act makes no mention of temporary. 

You can hold a muzzle loading smoothbore musket under SGC but fire single ball projectiles (i.e. what would be considered a slug if in a cartridge) at suitable shooting ranges.

16 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

best option for the OP is to phone his local firearms office and ask 

Will they know? I’ve been given some real bum information from my local cop shop regarding firearms law. 
Personally I’d ask your shooting organisation. I know the NGO have a good legal expert on hand. 

I believe that a smoothbore musket, held on a sec 2 cert can be used to shoot a single ball on approved ranges - However I guess this only applies to a muzzle loading musket, not a shotgun that you happen to load from the muzzle end.

Personally I would ask the MLGB.....I fact I've just had a look:

https://forums.mlagb.com/showthread.php?tid=298&highlight=Shooting+ball

Edited by 1066

22 hours ago, Lord v said:

The adapter clearly states its for shot only, not slugs. So will change a shotgun into a slightly less efficient shot gun, not a musket. 

I image its intended use is to allow a standard shotgun to be used on muzzle loader only hunting dates in the USA. 

Ah didn't spot that. The reason for the round ball 'exception' is that the round ball is not ammo. Ammo is only ammo when the parts are put together into a cartridge or round. In a muzzleloader, that doesn't happen as it is still a collection of parts in the barrel.....apparently. 

To answer the why, for interest, I saw an Enfield Mk4 410 shotgun that was available and I thought the adapter may have been a way of giving it a life at the range whilst still being Section 2 (Section 1, you might as well get a 303 or 410 slugs). My FAC application is going in shortly but I thought it might have been something to shoot until I can get my BP revolver etc.