Very basic puppy training

Shearwater

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

Wash the pots.

Sorry couldn't help myself 😂

To sit on command, it's easy to teach and gets them learning to be obedient.

When I put up the post I thought I was wide open for some belting ideas but never thought of doing the dishes would be the 1st so in reply get yourself a drink and pat on the back sir; it made me laugh

let the puppy be a puppy...........everytime you feed the dog ...blow the recall tune on the whistle................also train the wife and the children not to mess the dog about...use the same commands ...no tug -of-war...........it is your dog to work with not therir plaything..........

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

let the puppy be a puppy...........everytime you feed the dog ...blow the recall tune on the whistle................also train the wife and the children not to mess the dog about...use the same commands ...no tug -of-war...........it is your dog to work with not therir plaything..........

This ^^^^^^^

or move out for the first 6 months with the pup 

Where is the dog kept? in the house or kennel?

I would teach the pup to sit for meals and that coming when called results in a great fuss and reward... aside from that I would avoid doing much obedience at all as to avoid taking the drive out of the dog as many people seem to do these days... they turn up with dogs with no go in them because they're suppressed it. 

Some lads are doing no training at all until 9-12 months old. 

Just take the dog out and let it run around. 

While the pup is young and insecure take him to an open space and stand still for a couple of minutes - then walk away, don't make any attempt to call or communicate with the pup - as you walk away the pup should follow you - if he does then he has accepted you as Alpha and will follow you without question.

28 minutes ago, figgy said:

I couldn't wait  a year before training my dog, he is too headstrong.  Needs a firm hand now nearly seven years later.

Chesapeake's are slow to mature and would benefit from being left to be a puppy.

jokingly ...............it is always said you train a chesapeake with a large piece of 4x2"...

One thing is for certain, your reputaion rests on how well you do it.   How many times have I heard .."Oh Gawd here comes that bloke with that b'''''y dog again.".

I have always taught my dogs manners right from the time they have arrived, most have been 10-12 wks old but I did rescue a GSP at 10 months which had been beaten by a mans wife and didn't even know it's name.  Mole became probably the second best dog of my life.  As said above teach them to come to the whistle and sit before they eat their food right from day one. Even walk them on a light lead alongside you for a few minutes, but I never did more than fifteen minutes with any of my dogs after that we both enjoyed fun together.  I do agree with the comment on having dogs too tight, stuck to your leg but at times they need to be there as at other times they need to be on a lead. 

Again, remember your dogs will get invited far more often than you if they are well mannered.

The most important thing is to have fun together.  In modern palance....BOND

39 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

One thing is for certain, your reputaion rests on how well you do it.   How many times have I heard .."Oh Gawd here comes that bloke with that b'''''y dog again.".

I have always taught my dogs manners right from the time they have arrived, most have been 10-12 wks old but I did rescue a GSP at 10 months which had been beaten by a mans wife and didn't even know it's name.  Mole became probably the second best dog of my life.  As said above teach them to come to the whistle and sit before they eat their food right from day one. Even walk them on a light lead alongside you for a few minutes, but I never did more than fifteen minutes with any of my dogs after that we both enjoyed fun together.  I do agree with the comment on having dogs too tight, stuck to your leg but at times they need to be there as at other times they need to be on a lead. 

Again, remember your dogs will get invited far more often than you if they are well mannered.

The most important thing is to have fun together.  In modern palance....BOND

aint that the truth.............damn right it is ..............i used to pick up 2-3 times/week in the season when i had my 7 dogs....only 2/time...the others would be resting..........i used to get a call from the headkeeper to come in an extra day because a certain gun would want me and my black&whites standing with him or behind him.......(he would oten give me the gun so i could shoot a couple on a couple of stands)...........

i pulled his leg about being a happy bunny on morning ...and he said "do you watch the buiness news this morning" ? i said "yes" why ?........he said he had just sold his company....

............wheat-a-bix..........got £828 million for it........the man was a gentleman....he didnt consider have fun unless everyone else was having fun..............

Been on a small 60-70 bird day today with a small team of beaters and the keeper.  Eight guns all enjoying themselves chatting with the beaters, talking dogs, guns and shot gun sights etc etc etc.  Fortunately the heavy rain overnight eased and we had a relatively dry most enjoyable day.   One of the beaters remarked how he enjoyed these days better. The big days, no gun spoke or even appreciated you was there all they wanted to do was pull the trigger regardless of how sporting the bird might be.  We all had a fun day and that is what it is all about.

On 05/11/2019 at 23:06, ditchman said:

aint that the truth.............damn right it is ..............i used to pick up 2-3 times/week in the season when i had my 7 dogs....only 2/time...the others would be resting..........i used to get a call from the headkeeper to come in an extra day because a certain gun would want me and my black&whites standing with him or behind him.......(he would oten give me the gun so i could shoot a couple on a couple of stands)...........

i pulled his leg about being a happy bunny on morning ...and he said "do you watch the buiness news this morning" ? i said "yes" why ?........he said he had just sold his company....

............wheat-a-bix..........got £828 million for it........the man was a gentleman....he didnt consider have fun unless everyone else was having fun..............

Was your Weetabix man Bill Reynolds?

cant remember it was a good 15 or 16 years ago and the man was in his late 60's......the same estate used to host a couple of days for the supermarket CEO's....now that was interesting..............we were told to keep well away from them..........

Edited by ditchman

Good reading this thread, so much truth said ,

Your dog will get invited more times than you. My first dog was brought fully trained and increased my invites vastly but also showed me what to try and achieve in your dog.

First thing is to sit in my book.

Also dont rush the dog, it will all come together if installed solidly,  very hard to put right poor training.

And enjoy each others companionship, you are that dogs protector,and best friend no matter what hard to get those qualities in a human being, but standard to any well looked after dog.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2019 at 18:52, bruno22rf said:

While the pup is young and insecure take him to an open space and stand still for a couple of minutes - then walk away, don't make any attempt to call or communicate with the pup - as you walk away the pup should follow you - if he does then he has accepted you as Alpha and will follow you without question.

Done and he followed, he will sit but needs restrained before meals as waaaaaants his food, will follow my other dog on a whistle and sometimes on his own too, not toooooo amused with collar and slip lead, wants to play/fight with old dog but can't say it's playful in all honesty so separate them...……… While I'm cracking the above skills any other simple skills to start working on? Cheers

Edited by Shearwater
Hit save too early

Signs of a good Dog - the rest should be easy (ish) - never lose your patience with him - never punish him more than a gentle tug on the ear and a harsh tone - overboard on praise in the early days and keep him interested by varying your lessons. Oddly enough, and without getting all girly, I was out with the Dogs a couple of days ago and, as my mind wandered, I was trying to think what, of everything I have ever owned (including Ducati's and Ferrari's) has given me the most pleasure in my life and it turns out, thinking about it, that it's my Springer - he amazes me just about every day, he rarely leaves my side for more than the time it takes him to retrieve but, most important, he goes ape whenever I come home - in short he is the best mate I could ever hope for.