Motorbike gear box gone?

Lloyd90

26 minutes ago, ratass said:

maybe a sticking clutch or final drive shaft ,without seeing it ,try without engine running put in gear an try pushing .

JB

What you mean mate? 

What will pushing it with being in gear show? Tell me what to look out for and I will tell you what happens. 

It sounds as if there is something in the drive train has broken, like the drive between the engine and gearbox. I think Jbs idea was if you can push it when it in gear then it would suggest a drive problem rather than the gear box broke. There are several places that could be the problem so will need to go through in sequence

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

It sounds as if there is something in the drive train has broken, like the drive between the engine and gearbox. I think Jbs idea was if you can push it when it in gear then it would suggest a drive problem rather than the gear box broke. There are several places that could be the problem so will need to go through in sequence

Dropped the bike into 1st gear whilst the engine was running, and yes was able to push the bike along with no resistance whilst the engine was running. 

You'd have to tell me what that means though. 

3 minutes ago, ratass said:

could be something simple like the front sprocket off ,or worse a broke shaft ,only a thought .

sorry cant be more helpful.

JB

Any ideas of cost to fix some of the likely issues? 

Does it mean the gearbox is ok or knackered? The garage said to drop it down to them but if it’s the gearbox it’s probably a scrapper. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thank god  

Take it to the garage, just say the clutch is gone and ask them how much to fix it. Don't start stressing about gearbox to them, don't even mention it. They will pick up your stress and build on it  That's what they do

Edited by Vince Green

I'm not sure the clutch or gearbox are faulty. A mate's son had the same problem a few months ago. The fault was a spring on the gear change mechanism. Removed clutch cover and although the gear lever was moving, it wasn't actually going into gear. Even with a knackered clutch, there should be some change when put into year and some drag - however slight.

Edited by Gordon R

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I'm not sure the clutch or gearbox are faulty. A mate's son had the same problem a few months ago. The fault was a spring on the gear change mechanism. Removed clutch cover and although the gear lever was moving, it wasn't actually going into gear. Even with a knackered clutch, there should be some change when put into year and some drag - however slight.

The bloke at the garage said he would be very surprised if it was either the gearbox or the clutch on a vanvan as they're only 125 and don't really take much of a hiding.

I will try and drop it off to them to have a look at.

Check the clutch pawl is releasing, it could be the spiral as stuck in not releasing clutch, thhe pawl pushes push rod clearing the clutch, so clutch pawl cover oposite side of engine to the clutch itself. Just take cover off where cable pulls from, you will see if anything has broken in there. before looking any deeper.

If the neutral light is working ie switching off and on at the correct time, that means the selector drum is turning and the gears should be engaging. That so, more than likely the problem is then with output shaft, clutch or final drive. Just a daft one; have you checked the chain hasn't jumped off the small front drive sprocket?  the one that's tucked away hidden behind an alloy extension of the primary side.

And the clutch is gear driven.

Dave

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 16:07, London Best said:

Do bikes not have a primary chain any more? I know I’m a bit out of date but that was my first thought. Not had a bike since the 70’s.

I was thinking that, or the lay shaft has stripped a gear, depends how the power is transferred from crank to gear box, i'd be pulling that apart to have  a looksee

On 10/11/2019 at 15:45, strimmer_13 said:

Did you fix it

Apologies for the delay didn't see you had replied. 

I have not had a chance to drop it down the garage as yet as flat out on my placement with the mental health team and I need my mate to take it down in his van. As usual life gets in the way. I am hoping to drop it down there soon, the garage is sound and has a lot of experience so I think they are best to have a look not me.