Motorbike gear box gone?

Lloyd90

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2019 at 18:30, Lloyd90 said:

How do I tell if my gearbox has packed up? 

My suzuki vanvan 125, it will shift into gear no problem, but then when I let the clutch out... nothing... there is no pull off at all and it is as if the bike is still in neutral. 

any update on this ?

22 minutes ago, ditchman said:

any update on this ?

Not yet I'm afraid I am flat out in the mental health team going out detaining people and with uni (Doing a course in MH) so don't have a minute free.

I am trying to arrange with my mate to drop it down the garage in his van when we can both link up.

Update: the front sprocket was loose and had come off. 

Also the chain not quite on correctly and back wheel loose 🙄... last time I trust a friend to change a chain for me ... 

£75-80 he said to get the parts needed and put it all back together which I was happy with :) 

Now the next step is whether to sell it or do my cbt again 🤣

On 06/12/2019 at 18:24, strimmer_13 said:

Keep it and do your main test 👍

Yes I didn't know you could do a main test on a 125 I thought I had to do it on a 500. If I had known that I would have done it a lot sooner.

Do you happen to know, if I redo and pass my CBT, do I need to do the theory again? As I have already passed that. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I didn't know you could do a main test on a 125 I thought I had to do it on a 500. If I had known that I would have done it a lot sooner.

Do you happen to know, if I redo and pass my CBT, do I need to do the theory again? As I have already passed that. 

I think you do tbh. By that i mean if you want to ride a full power bike youll need to do it on something bigger than 500cc. I done it all on a suzuki vanvan, then after the cbt which i think i did on the first day, we moved up to a kawi er6f (which im looking to buy now, or a fazer, getting too old to be slouching over a tank chasing mph anymore) 

I done the direct access course over a few weeks in Haverfordwest, so never had a 125 legally on license, so not 100% on when a theory runs out. Ill google it now 

Just checked 

2 years it lasts

6 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I think you do tbh. By that i mean if you want to ride a full power bike youll need to do it on something bigger than 500cc. I done it all on a suzuki vanvan, then after the cbt which i think i did on the first day, we moved up to a kawi er6f (which im looking to buy now, or a fazer, getting too old to be slouching over a tank chasing mph anymore) 

I done the direct access course over a few weeks in Haverfordwest, so never had a 125 legally on license, so not 100% on when a theory runs out. Ill google it now 

Just checked 

2 years it lasts

No I meant you can do a full test on a 125, but your only licences to ride a 125... however unlike a CBT this never runs out 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

No I meant you can do a full test on a 125, but your only licences to ride a 125... however unlike a CBT this never runs out 👍🏻

I think you can yes, but pointless if your over 24 imo. That would be the a2 licence? If you changed your mind you'd need to do the lot again, at full cost to gain your a licence. I know the direct access course is expensive but its definitely worth it to get it all out the way in one hit and in that use an instructors bike. By all means stay with the 125 after (and i doubt you would) but you'll never have to worry about licences or cc's or bhp/kw ect ect ever again. 

If its a rough dirty commuter bike youd be looking at after, go cb500, ntv650 or good ol bandits. Cheap as chips, zillion miles per gallon and small enough to get through traffic. 👍

Btw im no expert on bikes, far from it, im sure many who have helped on this thread would agree with my choice of licence direction though. 

17 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

For an 'A' licence you have to take the test on a 600cc

"This test must be carried out on a motorcycle that produces at least 54bhp or 40kw and is over 595cc"