More watch bargains!

Lord Geordie

Ok I know old lower grade watches are not everyone’s cup of tea! But today I found a chap selling 7 watches for £25 as a lot. I took the gamble as I have just been paid and drove to Bishop Auckland to collect them. 4 men’s 3 of which are 17 jewel mechanical movements. One quartz tatty thing for the spares box. And three ladies again two 17 jewel movements and one Seiko quartz. It didn’t dawn on me at first, but there is actually a matching set of his and hers Montine watches. I have to say they are both keeping impeccable time as is the gents Bifora. Sadly the Omnia is gaining 15 mins for every hour so possibly a damaged hairspring. But non the less a nice piece. More to add to the ever increasing collection :yes: 

33DF42EE-FDAC-4329-9182-258405807F94.jpeg

C308E070-D0E1-4099-94B2-192C96FE8FB9.jpeg

Are you a watch expert Lord Geordie? I recently found a Bulova watch in our old cottage. Initial research tells us it was 'assigned' to the 448th US bomber GP in 1943/4 - we live 2 miles from a former WW2 air base where 448th were stationed. How it got in our house not clear but local historians informed us when war ended the airmen on the base handed out many 'treasures' to the locals nearby. Facinating eh?

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Are you a watch expert Lord Geordie? I recently found a Bulova watch in our old cottage. Initial research tells us it was 'assigned' to the 448th US bomber GP in 1943/4 - we live 2 miles from a former WW2 air base where 448th were stationed. How it got in our house not clear but local historians informed us when war ended the airmen on the base handed out many 'treasures' to the locals nearby. Facinating eh?

image.jpeg

Lucky you :good: will be a chronometer no doubt as they needed the accuracy for navigation. Black dial? The back is similar to my Jäger le couture with the 10 sides. 

what I find fascinating is it has pins for the strap? My Avia from the same era has lugs. I don’t know when they started using pins but tat has peaked my interest to look into it :) 

well worth sending it away to be serviced and get a nice leather strap on it even if you don’t use it. 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i use to do the same LG but many years ago, i have 2 left that needs a look at, Ladies Omega and a Ladies Longines, think the latter is 9ct 1970s, ?

The sad part it many ladies watches are not as desirable as gents? I find ladies tend to want it as a fashion accessory rather than collectible as men do. I have a few ladies watches that I couldn’t even give away :lol: granted, mainly quartz! 

Edited by Lord Geordie